Wednesday, March 15, 2017

And a Busy Saturday

(Still on our Seattle trip here)

The next morning we, once again, got up early, got everyone dressed nicely and headed out by 9:30am.  Whew.  (And we did this knowing we'd have to do it for church the next day, also.  Rough way to spend our first three days!  But at least the time difference worked in our favor...)  This time we had the kind of weather you'd expect in Seattle in February-- cold, wet, and drizzling.  We took the ferry into Seattle and I managed to follow my Mom all the way to the cemetery (with a quick detour past the brick home my Grandma had lived in while my Dad was in high school up until when I was a little girl and she sold it and bought her condo).  The graveside service was short, and just had family and Bishop Cook present. 

My sisters and I sang again (different song, this time, and no violin or piano).  We had a few moments where people could share thoughts about my Grandma and it was quite touching to hear both Craig and Brian say nice things about her.  Craig gave the dedicatory prayer, and then they lowered the coffin into the grave.  I've never been at a service where this was done before, but I actually really like it.  I mean-- it was sad and I was sobbing.  But it gave the whole thing a very nice sense of closure, and I appreciated that.  Then we were each given tulips to drop into the grave.

And it was all over.  I pointed out to everyone that there was a cherry blossom tree blooming-- certainly not normal for that time of year, but a lovely token.  And we climbed into our cars to leave.

And then, because Saturday was ALSO the day that Kendra turned 9, and because we wanted there to be more than just a funeral for her special day, we drove across town to where the Museum of Flight is located, right by Boeing airfield.  And we toured all over the museum for as long as we could handle.

Tracy had done Kendra's hair extra pretty for her birthday

Camille quickly made friends with this astronaut
Kendra and Caleb

Just a few of the planes in their newest exhibit (which, unfortunately, was outside and cold!)

Craig with a Blue Angels jet

Samuel inside one of the original AirForce Ones (and looking just as crazy as any president!)
Leah and I taking a quick break before we head out to the parking lot

Bentley being weird (no, he didn't hurt himself)

Camille learning weirdness at Bentley's feet

And Colton just being cute, also at Bentley's feet
Our little clan

By the time we finally headed back to Bainbridge, we were all so exhausted.  But hopefully it was a good day for Kendra, despite the rather gloomy start.  At the house, my Dad had ordered pizza, so it was piping hot when we got home, and then Tracy had made a cake so we got to sing to Kendra and all that.  We'd sent one present ahead, so she got to open that, too.  It was a water bottle for pets, our way of telling her that we were getting her a pet bunny.  As you can imagine, this caused much rejoicing!

Another good day.

No comments: