Tuesday, March 28, 2017

School Stories

Ryder came home from school one day talking about pigs.  This is not unusual for him-- since his birthday, he just loves pigs.  I didn't really think much about it, until I got an email from Mrs. Garland, his teacher, that night.  She explained that it had been National Pig Day (who knew?) and so a different teacher had brought her pet pig to class.  Knowing how much Ryder loves pigs, Mrs. Garland had arranged it so Ryder could spend an hour in the other class, hanging out with the pig. He also got to make a pig hat for the occasion.

She included this picture:

That is one happy Ryder right there!  This picture makes me smile every time I look at it.

In other school news, Kendra's class has been studying the Supreme Court, so they had a mock trial wherein Kendra got to be one of the Justices.  All parents were invited to attend, so Craig and I enjoyed seeing our daughter taking this role very seriously.  (And true to life, one of the Justices was out that day, so they only had eight for the case!)

Listening closely during the hearing

All the Justices.  I liked the artwork here, also done by students.

With her two friends, Kinsley and Grace (who was the Chief Justice)
What pleased me even more was how seriously Kendra took her role.  She told us what the trial would be about (they were debating whether or not to keep having the fire truck come for field day and spray all the kids with water-- this also tied in to their unit on the water cycle) and when Bentley asked her how she'd be voting, she responded indignantly, "I have to stay neutral until the hearing, Bentley!"  Good girl.

Unfortunately that night, she was throwing up, so she wasn't able to go to school for the actual vote.  But apparently a bunch of the judges were all out, so her teacher emailed everyone asking for their votes, and Kendra's opinion was the one that won.  (It was what I would have voted for, too, although I didn't tell her that until after she'd told me how she voted and why.  See, I can stay neutral, too.  For a bit.)

Anyway, I'm very happy with my kids' school.  It's a nice feeling.

No comments: