Thursday, July 27, 2017

I'm back. Sort of.

We flew home on a redeye Sunday night/Monday morning (a week and a half ago), landing at Dulles at 6:30am.  We managed to collect our luggage, catch our shuttle, and get to our car without too much trouble (well-- there may have been some exasperation on everyone's parts as I frantically ran around the airport trying to figure out what door I was supposed to be exiting through and Craig kept telling me I'd done it wrong rather than actually telling me where I SHOULD be going-- but we did catch the shuttle and managed to hold it rather than waiting for the next one an hour later).  Craig's car even started, so that was also good!  Then we had to stop in Manassas and fix a leaky sink there (the joys of being a landlord!), but that also went quickly, and we made it home to Charlottesville before 11am.  So not bad!  I don't really pull all-nighters-- I didn't even when I was in college-- so this was a new experience for me.  But I also don't really sleep in places that aren't my bed, so it wasn't shocking when I didn't manage to sleep on the plane.  I probably could have slept in the car, but I felt like it was my job to chat with Craig while he drove and make sure he wasn't falling asleep.  We amused ourselves by trying to rank everything we'd done in Hawaii (we didn't get far, but it was a fun way to relive it all!).  Oh-- and the A/C in his car had stopped working, so that made the drive home super fun.

But it was WONDERFUL hugging all the kids.  Camille was in her high chair when we walked in the door, so I took off the tray and she fell into my arms and hugged me for five minutes! 

Back with my baby

And Kendra!

And Ryder, too!

And it was really fun giving them their souvenirs that we'd bought.  And then I stumbled into bed and napped for...  three and a half hours?  Still not nearly long enough.  (I'd warned Tracy that even though we'd be home, I'd still be relying on her for a bit.  She was a really good sport about it.)

My parents had sent this bald eagle-- it was an even bigger hit than I was!
We only had Tracy with us for another day and a half (during which time I used her for more babysitting so I could finally get the safety inspection done on the new van), then she flew back to Seattle late Wednesday morning.  And then on Friday we drove up to Palmyra, New York to camp for a couple days!

So I'm still really dead.  I know I have so much blogging to catch up on, but I'm kind of wandering around in a fog still.  Colton waking me up in the middle of every night is not helping, either.

But for now, Hawaii was awesome.  Camping was awesome.  I will be sharing lots of pictures in the near future, if I can only get a decent night's sleep!
This picture seems like a good one to end a blog post on!

No comments: