Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Ideas

I just watched the movie Maudie and it's gotten ideas percolating in my mind.  It's making me want to at least try painting.

Now, I don't know anything about painting.  I took a parks & rec watercolor class when I was in high school, but only because I didn't know the difference between watercolor and oil painting when I signed up for it.  Although this did help me appreciate how difficult it is to produce a good watercolor, my real love is for the vibrant colors you get with oil paints.  Or at least, those are what I usually prefer looking at.

I've always figured that if I wanted to try oil painting, I'd need to look for a class to teach me how.  And that would probably be a good idea.  But I'm pretty busy these days and when I'm not busy, someone else is busy.  I don't know when I could possibly fit a painting class into our schedule.  But watching Maudie it occurred to me that I could just buy some paints and try.  It probably won't look very good, but who cares?  You can't go about only wanting to do something if it's going to be perfect-- that's a terrible way to live your life.

As usual, Craig is also partly to blame for this.  For Christmas he bought me a big set of pens and the Bloggess's coloring book, You Are Here.  And it's not like I sit around coloring in it all the time or anything.  But when I do sit down and color, I enjoy it.  Especially right now when it feels too cold to leave the house and all the trees are dead and brown, sitting and contemplating pretty bright colors is kind of nice.  It makes me think that dabbling with some paints might not be a bad way to spend some time, either...


But at the same time, this week Camille is suddenly getting into EVERYTHING.  I keep finding her with lotions, baby powder, and diaper cream smeared in weird places.  (Yes, even after I moved all of that stuff to a high up shelf.  She simply dragged over a chair and collected it all back again.)  So this might not be the best time to start keeping oil paints around the house...

3 comments:

Anne said...

Hahahaha! What's with little ones getting into everything!?!?!?

)en said...

Have you ever done a Bob Ross painting sesh? Where you watch him and actually try to do what he does. It is intense and totally hilarious. Invite people over and make it a party. I support your painting quest and actually prefer the watercolors 🤷🏻‍♀️ I think I like that the watercolor paints sort of paint themselves-- nothing has to be exact. Whereas I'm sweating bullets with Bob Ross.

Tom said...

We have a couple of "Bob Ross" paintings done by no one other than your husband Craig. Make sure you see them this weekend if you have not already seen them.