Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Toddler Classes

I had Colton and Camille in a little Parks & Rec class last fall and they LOVED it.  I kind of hated to shell out the money to repeat it, but they've been begging to do it again and I couldn't bear to tell them No, so I decided after Christmas we'd sign them up for another one.

Of course, nothing can ever be easy, so it's been a huge headache.  First, I discovered that the class they'd been in was for ages 1-3, so Colton was way too old for that class.  (In my defense, I'd had them signed up for something totally different, but then it turned out the course description was totally wrong and it wasn't what I wanted after all, so the Parks People had just switched them over to this other class without telling me the age ranges.)  As I pored over the course catalogue for winter, I realized that none of the classes were really meant for a 2-year-old AND a 4-year-old!  They were all either for ages 1-3 or 3-5.  Now, Camille will be turning three in just a few weeks and I have no problem ignoring these "guidelines," but since my kids' birthdays are already entered into the system, it wouldn't allow me to fudge their ages!  I finally had to speak to some city employee who could override the system for me.

But I got it done!  My kids were signed up and there was much rejoicing!

So naturally, the day before our first class Colton was so excited he didn't sleep at all (meaning, I didn't sleep at all, either) and then it was icy in the morning so everything got cancelled.  And I got to deal with some incredibly sad children all morning.  And then today, the REALLY ACTUAL first day of class, we got there and found out that the teacher's car had broken down and she wouldn't be able to come!  We got to go to the tumbling class instead, which they did really enjoy, but STILL.

It just seemed like the universe is making this WAY harder than it needs to be.  I just want my kids to get to do some art projects without destroying my house!  Is that too much to ask for?


I also signed them up for a preschool class at the library.  Then found out that the library class is ALSO only for children ages 3-5 but they're not nice enough to include Camille and her three weeks shy of the cutoff.  (But to give them credit, at least they called me up and explained this to me a week ago, rather than springing it on us when we're standing there and I have to deal with a disappointed toddler in the moment!)  The library class starts Thursday.  Any bets as to what will go wrong with this one?



P.S. Those new antibiotics worked GREAT and I am back to swallowing like it's a normal function that one doesn't have to think about or dread or wince while doing.  The joys of good health!

No comments: