Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Delight

The Bloggess recently posted asking her readers to share something that delighted them.  She said that when she is in a depressive state, her therapist had recommended she try to keep a gratitude journal, but that ended up backfiring because it just made her feel guilty for feeling so miserable when she ought to feel grateful but just couldn't.  So instead, she tried to focus on things that delighted her.  I think this is a wonderful thing to focus on more, and reading some of the responses on her post gave me even MORE things to find delight in.  So much so that I figured I ought to record some of them here.  Let's see how many I can remember?

1) When Camille comes into a room by making her own fanfare and sings, "DUN-duh-duh-duh-DAAAA!"

2) Any time Craig comes home and the kids scream "DADDYYYYYY!" and run up to hug him and jump around in sheer joy.  He's as great as Santa Claus in their eyes.

3) When I cut up an apple, I always give the core (minus the seeds) to our bunny.  She'll see me coming and starting running all around her cage in excitement.  It's so cute!

4) When I turn on our gas fireplace and makes this awesome "FOOMF" noise as it lights up.  That noise is great.

5) Craig.  I just really like him.

6) Cardinals.

7) And also blue birds.

8) Leaving my neighborhood, when I can see the hills and then Carter Mountain behind them.

9) Returning home, and I can see the hills with the Blue Ridge Mountains behind them.

10) Taking the kids swimming and realizing it's not NEARLY as stressful as it used to be!

11) Hearing other people's babies crying and they aren't mine and I don't need to do anything about it.

12) Depositing a check on my phone and hearing that little cha-ching! cash register sound.

13) Staying home and watching TV with Craig.  I know that sounds super lame, but we just don't get to do that very often.  I love it when we get the chance!  If it's a rainy, cold night, so much the better!

14) The foot heater on my bed.  It's got a timer, so I can leave it on as I go to sleep and it's so warm and cozy and makes me happy.  It's the best way to go to sleep.


I'm sure there are loads more.  I might do another post when I think of the rest...!

2 comments:

Juliana said...

Love this post! I'm going to think about this delighted idea 😊

Adam said...

"This American Life" recently did an episode about delight and talked about a book called "The Book of Delights" by Ross Gay. He apparently wrote down something that delighted him every day for a year. (This is Tracy - not Adam.)