Sunday, May 17, 2020

Mother's Day

Since moving to Charlottesville, we have always had church at 9am.  Most wards share buildings, so they trade off times each year, meaning every other year, you'll probably have 1pm church.  Afternoon church is terrible-- if you have young children, it's ALWAYS during naptime, and even if you don't have young kids, it's still just lame.  The only good thing about afternoon church is that you might be able to sleep in (depending on whether or not you have kids or teenagers) and it gives you the chance to make dinner in your crock pot and come home to dinner all ready, which is pretty sweet.  But really, those are the only advantages.

But our ward here shares the building with a YSA ward (Young Single Adult), and they LIKE getting to sleep in.  So they take the afternoon time, and we get the morning time.  And I LOVE that pretty much every Sunday out of the year.  Except Mother's Day.

I would reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllly like to be able to sleep in on Mother's Day.  And once I'm done sleeping late, I would reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaalllllllllly like to be served breakfast.  None of that happens when you have 9am church.  (And I'm pretty sure that it really doesn't happen if your husband is the bishop.)

So I was delighted when Craig informed me that on Mother's Day this year, there would be no scheduled Zoom meetings AT ALL.

I slept in SO LATE.  And then I nudged Craig and suggested he get to making orange rolls for me.  And then I laid in bed checking Postsecret and Dear Abby while the kids all wandered in for hugs and snuggles.  It was so great.

(The only bad side was that I waited so long to shower, by the time I got in there was no hot water left, so that was kind of lame.  But I couldn't really complain, since that was mostly because Craig and the kids had been doing dishes all morning.)

The orange rolls came out of the oven right as I was hurrying out of my lukewarm shower, so I didn't bother drying my hair before we ate.  (Who am I kidding-- drying my hair has TOTALLY gone out the window since COVID.  Along with makeup and pretty much caring what at all about what I look like.)  


This is what greeted me when I came down the stairs!

COVID Hair, Don't Care


Rather than getting cards, the kids all write me a letter in the same Mother's Day book each year-- so I'm building up a collection!

Ryder can be weirdly affectionate


After we'd eaten our fill of orange rolls, we had a quick church meeting.  Craig made Bentley and Kendra give Mother's Day talks, so that was fun to hear!

Ryder continues to be weird:

This isn't how you do church?


Later in the evening, I decided we ought to have a picture of me with all the kids.  Of course, they all freaked out and it was lame and frustrating.  But we still managed to get this out of it:




Thanks to my wonderful family for spoiling me so well!

No comments: