Friday, March 26, 2021

Bentley's Talk

As promised, here is the talk that Bentley gave! Enjoy!

Good morning brothers and sisters, My name is Bentley Smith for anyone that doesn’t know me. When Heavenly Father was creating the plan of salvation or plan of happiness a few things he decided to give us were agency, thoughts, emotions, and trials or adversity. While trials usually have a negative connotation and are thought of as bad, they are actually very important. With trials we learn, grow, and are ready for the future. When you look up adversity in gospel topics it says that some people will have trials because of not living righteously but others will have adversity even when following the church. Even Jesus Christ, the only perfect person in the world, had trials and temptations. In fact, he had the worst trial of all so that we could be resurrected one day. 
        Trials help us grow in many ways. Physically, spiritually, and mentally. For example, this summer I started doing cross country. When I started I couldn’t run more than a mile without feeling incredibly sore and not being able to walk smoothly the next day. Now, I average at least 4, and usually more, miles and don’t feel that sore the next day. Trials aren’t always physical sometimes it’s mental like depression or anxiety. Other times it might be a spiritual trial like struggling with the word of wisdom or not keeping commandments. Trials are always meant to help us in the long run and the worst thing you can do is give up because of a trial. 
        If you keep working you will be proving yourself to god. In D&C 121: 7-9 it says “ My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.”  In the October 2011 talk by Elder Carl B. Cook, he tells the story of how during his first week as a general authority he was leaving the office completely exhausted and just staring at the ground when President Monson walked into the elevator. On the ride down president monsoon asked him how he was. He responded tiredly by saying that he was fine. After a brief pause, President Monson smiled and  said “ It is better to look up!” I like this story because it is short and simple. 
Although it’s important to beat your trials, it’s a lot harder when your in the middle of a trial. For example, when I’m in a cross country race, About half through I will start to think about how I will never be able to move again because I’m so tired. In the last 100 meters or so you are supposed to ‘kick’ or basically sprint with all the energy you have left. Usually the things going through my head at this point are something like “ I need water” “ I am not breathing enough” or “why did I come here?” Whats funny is that the whole time I’m thinking about how I’ll never walk again and then within the next 30 minutes I feel fine. Similarly, during trials you will feel like its the end of the world and hopefully after some time you will feel better and know that it is ok. 
        While everyone has trials some people’s trials will be more difficult than others. Others might have lots of trials others might only have one big trial. In D&C 24 verse 8 it says “ Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.” When I was younger I would hear talks about trials and how people overcame them and I used to wish for trials so I could ‘prove myself’ or become stronger. Now that I’m a little older I realize that I wouldn’t mind not having trials. However, in the gospel topics, it says when you have a trial you shouldn’t think “ Why does this have to happen to me”, you should ask “ What can I learn from this” or “What blessing do I have”. 
        Some of my favorite stories in the scriptures are about people that had trials. Stories such as Nephi and how his brothers did everything they could to stop him. I love how even when he was tied to a ship in the middle of a storm that would have sunk them his first instinct was to pray. Then, when he prayed for forgiveness and mercy the storm stopped and it was ok. While your trials probably won’t end that quickly they will end eventually and you will be happier because of it.  Another moment I like is the story of joseph smiths life. While in seminary and come follow me we have been studying and learning about joseph smiths life. He was a man called of God and he also had some big trials such as when he was put into prison. I love that through it all he stayed strong and believed in the gospel. 
        Without trials, no one would ever grow or learn. Because we have trials we figure out solutions. When it was hard to travel long distances we created cars and planes. When we didn’t have a good way of communicating we created phones. All of these things were made because of trials. Without trials, nothing would happen. Trials aren’t fun but they are vital in the plan of salvation and also vital in progressing as the human race. 
        I want to let you all know that I know this church is true and that trials are a part of Heavenly Father’s plan of salvation and will help you in the long run. I leave these things with you, in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

No comments: