Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Colton's Baptism

As you all know, March 13th was the year anniversary of our Covid lockdowns.  But MUCH happier than that, it was also the day that Colton turned EIGHT.  And eight years old is a big deal in our church because that's the age when a child is old enough to get baptized!  And this-- the real reason my parents and Rachael had come to see us-- was on Sunday!

We started out with regular (for Covid) church, and Bentley was the youth speaker so it was nice getting to have everyone hear his talk!  He did a great job on it, too, especially considering we didn't help him AT ALL.  (I'll probably print it here later-- it really was well done!)  We were pretty squished in one pew but after a year of social distancing, it was kind of nice sitting elbow to elbow for a little while...

After church we had time for lunch and Relief Society and naps and then we headed back to the church.  Brother and Sister Steed had stayed filling the font for us (and apparently it had given them fits-- our sad, old building!) so we had plenty of time for pictures!


For reasons I don't understand, Craig was using a weird lens here so the people on the edges look disproportionately bigger.  Grrr...  But it's still a nice group photo...



The actual baptism was lovely!  Donna gave the opening prayer, my Dad spoke on baptism and Ian gave the talk on the Holy Ghost.  Kendra and Bentley got to be witnesses and Craig got to welcome Colton to the ward as the bishop.  And, of course, his comments made me cry.  My Mom played piano (and it was fun hearing her play some of her favorite classical music during the interlude), and I gave the closing prayer.  AND, I even remembered to have Bentley run into the changing room and remind Craig to pull the drain on the font BEFORE he'd changed into dry clothes!  (AND Craig did NOT have his cell phone in his pocket this time around.  Phew!)

So it was all just really nice.  Afterwards, we all went back to the house and Craig and I made dinner for everyone and my mother-in-law had brought about a billion cupcakes for the whole crew, and it was so fun just hanging out and eating and enjoying one another's company.  

It was a really special day!  We're so proud of Colton!



P.S.  A few days later, I found this in Camille's homework folder:
I love her drawings!

No comments: