Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Dreams Really Do Come True (or, My Kids Are Really Weird)

About a year ago, Camille got it in her head that she wanted to try fishing.  Colton soon followed suit, and they've been talking about going fishing on and off for a while now.  

The problem with this is that I. don't. fish.  I don't know anything about fishing, and I don't have the equipment or body of water to try fishing.  And I hate eating fish or seafood of any kind.  So this wasn't really something I had any ability or desire to try.  We were very stuck.

At some point, I told them they should just ask Bentley's friend Aaron, since his family is all about fishing (and hunting.  If the zombie apocalypse happens, we're just going to hope that they take us in).  The nice thing about this, was they began pestering Aaron instead of me!  But Aaron is just a kid, it's not like he was going to set up a fishing date with them or anything.  So they pestered him a lot, to no good purpose.

And then things started to get weird...

One Sunday, they were very busy working on a note, which they passed to Aaron right before church started.  He and Bentley both sit up front to bless the sacrament, so they marched up and delivered the note to him in front of everyone.  Later on, during the sacrament, Colton was laughing so hard he decided to move away from Camille and sit next to me.  When I asked him what was so funny, he told me that the note they'd passed Aaron said, "Take us fishing or else!"

Uh, yeah, that's normal.

Then, they started plotting what the "or else" could mean, and decided they could poison his bread if he didn't take them fishing!  When Colton asked how they could tell if Aaron had eaten the poisoned bread, Camille watched everyone reverently participating in what's supposed to be a sacred ordinance and calmly replied, "I guess we'll find out soon enough."  That was when Colton burst into fits of giggles.

My kids might be psychopaths.

And what's worse, as he told me all this, it was all I could do not to howl with laughter at my demented kids.  So now you know where they get it from.

It's probably a good thing Craig is up on the stand and not sitting with us any more.

*    *    *    *    *    *

Anyway, this week for Young Mens, they went fishing.  And Craig let Camille tag along, since I had to drive the other kids to the church.  And Aaron (bless is forgiving heart) helped her fish:

I'm honestly not sure if she's happier about getting to finally try fishing, or about having Aaron's arms around her...

Then they actually caught something, and this was her reaction.  She IS my daughter after all!

Ryder was also very excited to catch something--

--but he ALSO didn't want to touch it, so Bentley posed with Ryder's fish!

And they finished the evening with a paddle boat ride!
So hopefully we can cross that off our To Do list.  And maybe, just maybe, we can also stop threatening the teenagers in our ward!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Hahaha, this was a great story. Both my kids have also gone through an intense desire to fish phase and we're in the same boat of having zero idea how to fish and no tools and no desire to fish, so we just had to wait for the phase to run its course.