Monday, May 15, 2023

History Repeating Itself

WE DECIDED TO GET CHICKS AGAIN!!!

For the last few years, when the kids had begged us for a pet, we told them we had enough pets.  This mostly worked, but it had the huge downside of them plotting what pet they wanted as soon as one of their siblings' pets died.  This did not make Bentley or Kendra very happy.  And sure enough, within a couple days of Oreo dying, Camille was asking if now she could get a pet.  

We're pretty limited in our pet options.  We've got dog and cat allergies, so that makes the standard pets a nonstarter.  (I know there are hypoallergenic options, but they all tend to be both expensive and not breeds that I particularly like-- given a choice of dogs, I would always prefer a mutt.  Every so often Craig will talk about getting a hairless cat, but just seeing pictures of those makes my stomach hurt.)  So we have to get creative with our pets.

The other problem is that I've turned into something of a germaphobe.  So I really would prefer our pets live outside.  And be really easy to take care of.

And wouldn't you know it, right as we were pondering all this, the price of eggs spiked and Craig pointed out that we all really liked it when we kept chickens.  He suggested that if we just kept them on the porch, rather than trying to keep them alive on the grass, we could probably protect them from the fox.  I was sold.  I started researching chicken breeds immediately.  I narrowed it down to about fourteen breeds that were friendly and could survive Virginia weather, and then I let Ryder, Colton, and Camille each pick one.  And I picked one, too, just for the fun of it!  I wanted a variety of chickens and a variety of egg colors and the kids just happened to choose really great breeds for those things, so it worked out perfectly.  The only hitch was that I was hoping for another silkie, but they weren't available until July and I didn't want to wait that long.  So I chose a silver-laced wyandotte instead.

They arrived April 25th, a peeping little box at the post office waiting just for me!  And we've been watching them growing up ever since.  They're almost ready to be moved out to their coop, so we need to hurry and finish getting it set up!  (It's built, but we need to put it on something so they don't destroy our deck and figure out a feeder and waterer for them.  So we're close!)

After much hemming and hawing, I decided we would name them after pop stars.  This mostly came about because Ryder wanted to name his chicken William.  I told him that was a boy's name, but he could probably go with Billie.  Bentley told me he'd never heard of a girl named Billie and I said, "Billie Holiday!" and he said he didn't know who that was, but he had heard of Billie Eilish.  And thus a theme was born!  I gave the kids options to choose from (sadly no one picked Sza or Lady Gaga, names that would have been awesome), but instead we ended up with Dolly (Parton), (Taylor) Swifty, and my chick, Adele.  I think they're pretty fabulous names, if I do say so myself.

You want to see pictures, right?  Of course you do!

This is Billie, a buff orpington.  Her eggs will be light brown

On the left is Dolly, an Easter egger.  Her eggs should be either green or blue.  We'll see!

This is Swifty, a welsummer.  Her eggs will be a gorgeous dark brown.  I actually didn't want to name a chick after Taylor since I'm already a little embarrassed by how much I love her, but when Colton said her nickname, I was sold.  So perfect!

Camille chose Dolly

And Ryder chose Billie


In the middle is my chick, Adele, a silver-laced wyandotte.  Her eggs will be light brown.
I'm very excited about our chicks, but I think I'm even more excited right now to move them outside-- they're starting to get a bit stinky.  I'm also hoping I can use them as an excuse to make the kids play outside more.  I can say, "Go outside and take the chickens onto the grass to play!"  It might work, right?

No comments: