Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Children's Book Reviews

Before naptime and bedtime, I always read a story to each kid. And, of course, if they bring me a book and want me to read it, then I usually comply. So we end up reading a lot together. (A fact which makes me very happy.) This meant that, with my limited library, we ended reading the same stories over and over again. So it didn't take me long to realize that there were some that I enjoyed more than others. This morning I thought it would be fun to make a list of my favorites and what I like about them. If you need some suggestions, maybe this will be helpful. And, of course, I'd love to hear any suggestions you might have!

Horton Hatches the Egg by Dr. Seuss
It turns out Dr. Seuss really is the best with rhymes! Anything else that tries to rhyme just looks so amateur in comparison! The rhymes roll off your tongue so well you feel that the entire book must have just come into being with absolutely no effort on Dr. Seuss's part at all. Which, of course, means he must have worked incredibly hard to make it so good. Add to that a wonderful story with a great moral and you have an excellent book.

Animalia
by Graeme Base
Beautiful illustrations packed full of detail. I could spend so much time just looking for all of the alliterative words that Base packs into each page. It's a delight to look at this book!

One Monster After Another
by Mercer Mayer
This book is full of fun tongue-twisters, which makes it great for reading out loud. I think my personal favorite is the Wild'n'Windy Typhoonigator. What a great name! And if you think it's easy making up a score of different monsters with fun names, just try it! Mayer is a genius!

How the Trollusk Got His Hat
by Mercer Mayer
I love the story for this book-- how the honest stamp-collecting trollusk perseveres in trying to return Reggie's hat to him, despite the fact that everyone is afraid of him and refuses to help him out. But what really makes this book fun is all the detail in each drawing. Random objects are labeled as "Island Joe" merchandise (followed finally by a sign that reads, "Who is Island Joe?"); there are constantly joggers making their way through the pages; and my personal favorite-- a portrait of the "Moaning Lisa" which looks like the Mona Lisa in pain... So much fun for kids and adults!

Naughty Nancy
by John S. Goodall
These books have no words, which drives Craig crazy, but I like the freedom it allows me to make the story as long or as short as I want it to be. The illustrations manage to be both beautiful and hilarious all at the same time, and I love the antics that Nancy gets up to. I think when I was a kid she was my hero.

Creepy Castle
by John S. Goodall
This one may not be as funny as Naughty Nancy, but it's still a fun read. And Bentley loves the whole dilemma of the Bad Guy who is following main characters. It has the feel of a traditional fairy tale and I love that!

Is Your Mama a Llama? by Deborah Guarino
Lovely internal rhymes, which make me happy. And then at the end, when Lloyd the llama is talking to his llama friend Llyn I nearly die laughing. It makes me want to have pet llamas just so I can give them ridiculous double-L names.

This Little Piggy
by Steve Haskamp
The little squishy piggies are fun for the kids (as are the holes that you can stick your fingers through), but what really impresses me is how a whole mix of different fairy tales are all woven into the story. It's very clever.

Goodnight Moon
by Margaret Wise Brown
This is just one of those classics that I didn't fully appreciate when I used to read it to the kids I babysat. I love how it feels nice and sleepy by the end-- a perfect bedtime story.

Peek-a-Who?
by Nina Laden
This is a very simple and short little story-- definitely geared towards babies and young toddlers-- but I think it's very clever.

Just a Little Critter Collection
by Mercer Mayer
Mostly I just like having a lot of selection in this book-- seven stories to choose from! And they're all that perfect bedtime length! But I also genuinely like all of the stories, and that's saying a lot! Having said that, though, I think my favorite is probably Sometimes I Forget because it rings so true to me.

Pajama Time! by Sandra Boynton
Another book with fun rhymes. This one just feels like a party! And something about Boynton's drawings is just so cute. I remember thinking her drawings were super-cool when I was in 3rd grade. I guess my tastes have changed much...

Possum Magic
by Mem Fox
An adorable story, with wonderful illustrations to match. And added bonus-- it takes place in Australia, so you get fun terms like "Vegemite sandwich." What could be better?

So those are some of my favorites. I just know as soon as I publish this list I'm going to remember a whole bunch of others, but this is a start at least. Oh-- and I like most of the Berenstain Bears books, too, although they run a little long for my attention span (not my kids', though).

What are your favorites?

2 comments:

Patrice said...

A hooray for Richard Scarry-clever stories & illustrations-especially his Around the World book (may not be the right title-shows a world map and tells short, funny stories in many different countries). Paddy's Evening Out is wonderful (also John Goodall) but is out of print. Spooky Old Tree by Berenstains is great for a child learning to read! Such fun to think of these!

Mary Gray said...

Not A Box by Antoinette Portis! I don't know why I love it so much! Maybe it's just so true! Children LOVE to play in boxes... er, NOT boxes. :)