Thursday, July 2, 2009

Heart-Stopping Moments

You would think that I would learn. If the kids are being quiet, never assume that everything is just fine.

But they were playing so nicely together for once! And I was trying to get the house tidied up before Craig got home, so I can leave them alone in my room with the door closed while I straighten things up, right?

Yeah...

When Bentley came down the stairs the first thing I noticed was that he was carrying something in his hand. It took me a moment to realize what it was: the paint brush-lid part of a bottle of nail polish. Dark blue nail polish.

And that sent me into a panic. I hurriedly assessed him for whatever damage he'd done to himself-- nothing too bad, just a few streaks on his hand and foot. I raced into the room expecting to find a puddle on my bed. Nothing. I set Bentley in the tub while I continued to look for the bottle. I finally found it firmly grasped in Kendra's little fist. Fortunately, she was holding it so tightly that she only got a little on her hand and one tiny dot on her blue & green dress.

The few other random drips I found all came out with a quick rub of nail polish remover-- off the door jam, off the toilet lid, off the tub. Crisis averted. Barely. Phew!

2 comments:

Patrice said...

Yikes-reminded me of Rachael and the red puffy paints many years ago!

Liza Jane said...

Glad it wasn't worse! That should teach you a lesson for having blue nail polish. :)