Monday, July 6, 2009

Pride and Shame

*Disclaimer: I promise, promise, promise that I will not post about every little update that has to do with potty-training my son. Because that's gross. And because I can't imagine that you're so bored that you want to read about it. But this quick story was pretty funny (albeit gross), so I hope you'll forgive me...


So! Bentley peed in his little potty-training toilet for the first time today! It was mildly funny because he said he wanted to, but since he's said that before with nothing to show for it, I didn't really think too much of it. I'd been bathing both he and Kendra in the tub when he announced that he wanted to use the toilet, so I wrapped a towel around him to dry him off, told him to go to it, and proceeded to leave him alone so I could get Kendra out of the tub.

Imagine my surprise when I came back and found that he'd done the deed! And I wasn't even there for it! (This doesn't really choke me up or anything. In fact, I'd be okay if that's how all his potty-training went!)

So later we told Daddy about what a good job Bentley had done, and I was quite proud of him. And this is what he told Daddy: "I peed in my toilet! And in my bath!"

WHAT???

Ew. So, yeah, that's why the title of this post is "Pride and Shame." I think parenthood usually means having plenty of both, often at the same time.

4 comments:

Bobo said...

Kids say the darnest things! So funny! Good luck with potty training! Hang in there! Sorry for not calling, I have had cell problems. I will try tomorrow.

Natalie R. said...

So close and yet... Still, that's excellent progress!

Kylee said...

ha ha ha, that is awesome! kids always have a way of surprising us! good luck with the potty training. We are working on it too.

Liza Jane said...

Too funny!