Thursday, August 23, 2012

Hawaii: Kayaking in Kaneohe Bay

One morning, Craig and I ditched our kids with the rest of the family, rented a kayak, and headed out to Kaneohe Bay for an adventure. It was AWESOME. Perfect weather (of course), perfect water (of course), perfect time to spend with my Craig. We loved it.


Kaneohe Bay looks like any other bay, until you paddle out about 40 minutes and hit this huge, incredibly shallow sand bar.  At first, we were worried that we were headed in the wrong direction.  Then we noticed all the people who were apparently standing in the water and realized that we had nothing to worry about.

Check out how shallow this is:


I was trying to hold the boat steady while Craig took my picture.  I'm so good at being awkward!

Gorgeous.  Simply gorgeous.

There was an island you could explore out past the sand reef, and we thought about paddling all the way out to it, but I was worried that by the time we got back, I'd be too tired to help lift the kayak back onto the mini-van, so we headed back after the sand bar.  But that alone made for a pretty dang awesome day!

It wasn't until a week later that my Dad mentioned that Kaneohe Bay is a breeding ground for hammerhead sharks.  If I had known that, I would have tried to go snorkeling!

4 comments:

W Hansen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
W Hansen said...

That looks so amazing and fun!

Natalie R. said...

Wow, that would've been pretty cool to see hammerheads! It's pretty amazing to be able to kayak out, and then get to walk in the water like that! Those pictures are amazing!!

Jen Evans said...

I just read a book where there is a fierce hammerhead shark feeding frenzy, so that seems pretty terrifying. These pictures are all amazing!!!