Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hawaii: Waikiki

I still haven't gotten Craig's pictures off his phone, so all my Hawaii posts are going to be out of order. I can't imagine that this will bother you, but for some reason I felt the need to explain. Anyway, a few days into our trip, we went to Waikiki so we could take a ride on a submarine, the Atlantis! We were staying in a town about an hour away called Kailua, which worked out FANTASTICALLY for us. But there is definitely a lot of fun to be had in Waikiki, as we quickly learned.  (If you're ever planning a trip to Oahu, please please please call me up so we can talk about which one would be best for you!  I'll forego that discussion here for now...!)

Riding the ferry out to where the submarines dock

Looking back at Waikiki and Diamond Head-- pretty, huh?!?!

Sitting inside the submarine, waiting to submerge

Pretty sure Craig was insanely jealous of this guy's job

A wrecked airplane, which is now becoming a coral reef!

You have to look closely, but can you see all the fish swimming around that???

This ship was sunk here to provide more places for coral reef to grow

At 80 feet below, the water filters all the colors out of the sunlight.  So we all looked blue and grey.  It was really weird, actually...

Here's looking at the submarine from the ferry.  There were three, and we got to ride on the yellow one.  Much singing of Beatles songs ensued.

Eating at Duke's on the beach afterwards.  Could you ask for a more enjoyable setting?

Bentley and Kamryn share an inside joke.  They got along fairly well the whole trip, which made me happy!

Ryder has decided that sunglasses are definitely his thing.  Probably because whenever he puts them on, everyone freaks out and tells him how cute he is.  I guess he's let it go to his head, but who could blame him?


The submarine ride was definitely cool.  I wish I could have heard the guide better (we were at the wrong end for that), so I could have learned more about what we were looking at, but the important thing was that Craig learned the name of Hawaii's state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapua'a.  Ask him about it, he'll be thrilled to tell you!  ;)

3 comments:

Vangie said...

Can't wait to see more pics of your awesome vacation! So far, it looks like you all had a wonderful time.

Liz said...

I think you have some budding marine scientists on your hands...!! :)

ps: Congrats on news of #4! Did I mention my little sister is expecting as well...? :) Due in Jan 2013!!

Natalie R. said...

I didn't know that was the Hawaiian state fish, but I knew that name well thanks to this musical number:

http://youtu.be/DZdYLTuxSwI

Gotta love HSM!!! ;0)

That is pretty crazy seeing you guys in blue and grey - it's so cool that you guys got to do so many amazing things. I'm glad that all the cousins got along so well, too, that makes it all the better! Tom and Donna are totally awesome to have taken you guys there!!!! :-D