Monday, November 30, 2009

Kendra-isms

For those of you who haven't been around her much recently, Kendra talks a lot now. Mostly she's really good at repeating whatever Bentley or I say-- especially my directions to her as I dress her-- Stand up! Now this arm! etc.-- but she's got a few phrases that have morphed into sayings truly unique to her which I enjoy hearing.

"Behold." It sort of sounds like she's practicing to be a King James Bible angel, but what she's actually asking is to be picked up (and held). Behold.

"Ticky." This is a double-edged sword. What she's saying is, "tricky" but what she means is, "I need help." This came about because whenever she had a hard time doing something I would try to console her by admitting that whatever she was doing was very tricky to do. Now it's just a plea for help.

"Bucky Dames & Kena Wee." This is what she calls her brother and herself. She's really into middle names all of a sudden. I don't really know why. (Just for the record, her brother's name is Bentley, not Bucky. And her middle name is Lee, not Wee. Although I guess Wee could have been kind of cool. Or perhaps Wii?)

"Oookay..." I really wish I could convey the tone of her voice when she says this, because that's what makes it funny. Let's just say that she sounds very resigned to her fate. But she says it this way all the time, even when she's getting her way. And it always makes me laugh.

"'Pie." This means "up high," and is loudly proclaimed whenever the road we are on is an overpass. Somehow the 'uh' has gotten left out...

"Miss Chu!" This is what I got in response to me telling her I had missed her.

"Ah wuzz you, mommy." That one's not too hard to figure out. And yes, it does melt my heart, even when she says it at two in the morning as I'm rocking her to sleep because she has a bad cold and is miserable.

"Uppy-down" (or sometimes "Upsy-down") Upside-down. She loves to have me or Daddy hold her this way, but once we start she never wants us to stop, so you should only begin this game if you're feeling particularly energetic.


There's tons I'm not remembering right this minute, but you get the idea.

3 comments:

Patrice said...

Can't wait to hear all of those"Kendraisms" in person!!!

Nancy said...

Linus behind on his talking, but has been talking more lately. My favorite of his is "Hey-O" for hello.

Oneup said...

Bentley's middle name is Dames???? Like the plural of an edgy woman???