Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gift

When I picked Bentley up from school on Thursday, he was carrying his backpack very carefully and explained that inside it was a surprise for me. I was intrigued, but I know enough about 5-year-old surprises to not expect too much. It turned out to be a card which I was able to interpret as, "Dear Mom and Dad Holidays Happy Love Bentley," and a brown paper bag decorated with a Christmas tree. Inside the paper bag was a clay candy dish (which must be the updated version of the ashtrays we all made in elementary school), with a few candies precariously packed into it.


It's lumpy and small and basically worthless, but something about that little candy dish absolutely melted my heart. I cannot even begin to describe how much I love it. I will cherish it for the rest of my life.

May everyone's Christmas be filled with unexpected joys like this.

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Growing up, my grandma's china hutch had this weird little welded figure of a man in it. I found out later, my dad had made it for her as a kid. And she treasured it with her other fancy stuff. I'm always a little tickled when I see some stuff I made like that still lurking around my dad's home office.

Vangie said...

Awww! Seriously so cute!

)en said...

Yeah right, that is so freakin' adorable. I melted a bit myself.

merry christmas!

Natalie R. said...

That's so sweet, what a good boy! The other day at mutual, there was a very young deacon sitting in front of me who turned around with a very sweet smile on his face, and it totally reminded me of someone. It took me a second before I realized he had the same sweet smile that Bentley has! Yay for nice boys. :0)