Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Whoa. Just Whoa.

I'll begin by saying that a lot of you should probably NOT watch this. Because I'm posting a video of an elephant giving birth. Really, I am. And there's a substantial amount of blood involved. (And then it's all shown again in slow motion. Consider yourself warned.) But having said that, it's also incredible and amazing. I saw it on some other random blog I've begun reading, and had to show it to Craig. My second time watching it, I nearly cried. It really is that moving. I'll be the first to admit that I am something of a birth junkie. But in this case, it isn't the birth that's so impressive as what happens next: the baby won't breathe, and so the mother begins working to get her baby breathing. Who knew elephants were so smart?

Anyway, watch if you've got the stomach for it. Watch and be amazed.

Sometimes videos don't show up properly on my blog, so here's the link, too. Just in case.


And P.S. Baby elephants are one of the cutest things ever. EVer.

5 comments:

Patrice said...

That was amazing!

)en said...

Waaah. I first teared when the mom trumpeted in desperation and then when the baby started breathing and walking--waaaah. thanks for making me cry.

:)

Vangie said...

Simply amazing!

Liz said...

Woah. What's really amazing to me is what baby animals can do as soon as they're born ... I mean this little one was up and walking within minutes (!). How does that happen?? No practice - they just know (or figure it out really quickly).

ps: I'm glad people don't have 22 month gestations and give birth to 250lb babies... :o)

Natalie R. said...

So am I a wuss if I don't watch it??? I don't know if I could handle that...