Tuesday, December 3, 2013

I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

I recently cleaned out the cupboards underneath our bathroom sinks (first time doing that since we moved here, actually).  And I discovered a bunch of nearly empty bottles of shampoo and conditioner.  I really hate wasting stuff like that, but I never feel like I can get the very last bit out, so I end up buying new ones before the old ones are completely used up, then I get sick of trying to shake out the last bit and throw the bottle under the sink.  Which is a REALLY good way to deal with stuff like that and totally does NOT qualify me as a hoarder in any way. 

So now I'm trying to actually use them all up and throw them away.  Because, you know, just throwing them away be silly.

One shampoo/conditioner set that I found is Victoria's Secret's So Sexy shampoo.  I love this stuff.  It smells soo good.  And it brought back memories of when I was in grad school and had just met Craig and my friend Kristinia persuaded me to buy it.  (Now I'm too cheap to splurge on Victoria's Secret shampoo.  How did I have so much money when I was in college???)

So I loved this shampoo, except one thing: the bottles didn't open properly.  They had this helpful sticker explaining that you needed to twist it a quarter-turn, but no matter how much twisting you did, the lid would never come off!  You had to dig your nails into it and literally pry it off, and then jam it back on again.  And who can be bothered to do that while trying to wash your hair?  Later on they changed the lid, and made them so they just flipped open, so I doubt I was the only one who found them impossible.  I assume it was because of the annoying lid that I still had these particular bottles-- they were too much work to ever finish off!

Annoying lid or no, I am in no position to waste perfectly good, expensive, wonderful-smelling shampoo.  So they left their home under the sink and went back into the shower, to be used for special occasions like date night.

And it was in the shower that I read that stupid sticker and realized what it actually said: Remove seal and twist a quarter-turn to open.

Remove seal?  What seal?

You mean that stupid sticker with the worthless instructions? 

I peeled it back and discovered a hole for pouring the shampoo.  Which is opened when you twist the lid, a quarter of a turn.  Easy peasy.

Which begs the question: for all my being in grad school and working on my thesis, was I really that dumb nine years ago?

2 comments:

Patrice said...

Enjoy the fancy shampoo!! I need to toss a lot of little shampoos and such-guess we know where you get it!

Nancy said...

A couple birthdays ago, Brandon's parents got him a Homer Simpson birthday car where Homer is chanting your post's title. :)