Monday, April 30, 2018

The Poem I Wrote

When Tracy learned that Adam's family would be performing at the rehearsal dinner, she felt like it might be a good idea for our family to do something, also.  But then she started second-guessing herself, and worried that maybe she was being weirdly competitive.  So she felt stuck.  She told me this, so I suggested that I write a poem (originally, we heard Adam's family was doing a poem based on "Casey at the Bat"), but I told her that if she didn't like it or changed her mind about it, she could cancel the whole thing without hurting my feelings.  So we proceeded that way.

I actually like writing silly poems (nothing serious), but I seldom get around to doing it any more (back when I could get extra credit for writing a sonnet, I could CRANK those suckers out!), so it was fun to have an excuse to get back to that.

I based the flow of my poem very loosely on "The Cremation of Sam McGee", so if you're familiar with that one, this will make slightly more sense...



The Marriage of Tracy B

Our Mormon friends have dreams without ends
But the happiest they ever did dream
Was a morn in the spring, with plenty of bling,
When Tracy B held her wedding

Now Tracy B lawyered in NYC, where the crowds all hustle and bustle
But soon she got bored and felt kind of unmoored, in that place where newspapers rustle
She packed up her stuff and declared, “That’s enough! I’m off to seek my fate.
“I’ll try life as a doula, forget about moo-lah, maybe I’ll e’en find my mate!”

Now this guy Adam N, he was only a friend, but he organized fun things to do
And she thought he was handsome so whenever he planned some
She came hoping it’d be just for two
And as luck would have it, he finally planned it
For her birthday dinner, no less!
And so when he asked, she quickly said, Yes, she thought she could probably stand it.

Things bloomed quickly from there, they became a great pair
There seems to be nothing they lack.
They’re so happy they could burst (being single’s the WORST!)
And Tracy even wears stuff that’s not black!

Neither parents were here for one and a half year
So I guess it’s good they found each other
And us Bentley girls here will all raise a loud cheer

Cuz we’ve finally got a new brother!

2 comments:

Natalie R. said...

You did such a great job on this, I love your poem!! I felt a little badly that you asked for y help and I ended up not contributing at all... But honestly, I’m not very good at things like this, and since yours was so perfect, I guess I don’t need to feel bad! 😄

Anne said...

Love it!