Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Busy Weekend

The Sleep Study felt very busy and like a BIG DEAL, but that was just the tip of the iceberg that was this last weekend.

Friday I had another dress rehearsal (SO MUCH STANDING), this time at UVA, which always stresses me out a bit because I've got to park and walk to the right building and all the buildings look exactly the same, so I'm always worried I'm going to park somewhere that isn't allowed and either get a ticket or get my car towed, and that I'll get lost and be late.  And being late always feels like a fate worse than death to me, but choir practice is the WORST thing to be late to-- our director runs a very tight ship in that regard.  So, yes, even though I enjoy the actual rehearsal (sore feet notwithstanding), I tend to be a bit of a wreck beforehand.

And this Friday, on top of my rehearsal, was ALSO the father-son camp out!  So Grandma and Grandpa were coming to babysit again (bless Tom and Donna for being at our beck and call all weekend!).  Craig was running around getting packed, I was trying to help, and there was just a lot of chaos involved.

But everyone got where they needed to be.  And I was NOT late.  

Just bought a new tent at Costco, and it turned out the family camping right next to them had gotten the same tent!

I *guess* this is a pretty place to camp...

My goofball sons

Colton concentrating hard on his watermelon

Gotta love a rope swing!

That's my hubby!

Watermelon + sand + weird filter = Crazy Colton!

That's Colton catching fireflies out in a field.  Craig took a video, too, and it is amazing and nostalgic.  Perfection.

The boys had a great time.  The girls had a great time with Grandma and Grandpa.  And my rehearsal was great, too, so everyone was happy, albeit tired!

The next morning I got up right away to exercise and work on getting the German translation written into my score of Brahms' Requiem.  Before I'd even finished, Craig and the boys arrived back home, which meant we had plenty of time to get me, Kendra, Craig, and Bentley all showered before...  The kids' piano recital!!!

Waiting for their turn




The whole recital crew, including our neighbors Abby and Mackenzie, standing next to Kendra

Camille enjoys refreshments with her friend, the aptly named Scarlett


Bentley and Kendra both performed wonderfully, and I was very proud of them!  Kendra played Haydn's "Surprise" Symphony and the hymn "I Stand All Amazed."  Bentley played "I Just Can't Wait to be King" from The Lion King and the theme song from Jurassic Park.

Unfortunately, I'd decided to let Colton go to a birthday party during the recital, but then the location of the recital changed to a place much further away AND it took a lot longer than I'd been picturing, so I spent a good chunk stressing out about what time I needed to leave to pick up Colton.  (I'd planned on just asking another parent to grab him for me if the recital was running over, but then there was NO cell service at this church, so that was out of the question.)  It all worked out just fine, so my stressing was pointless.  But I didn't know that until after it all worked out, did I?

And then, that evening was MY concert!  I was super excited because I have just grown to LOVE Brahms' Requiem AND because the soprano soloist was the same one we got last year and I absolutely love her, too.  She has the most incredible voice and she's super sweet, too.  As soon as we found out she was coming, me and my friend were both totally geeking out, we were so happy!


Craig and his parents and Kendra all came.  Bentley wanted to stay home, so he was our babysitter for the night.  Craig had put everyone else to bed, so Bentley didn't have to do much, but still!  This is an exciting new phase of parenting that we have been easing into-- being able to NOT have a babysitter!  Concert started at 7:30 and didn't end until after 10, so I was beat by the end. 

But very happy.  We'd had a very full weekend and everything had gone splendidly.  Now I could relax and make Craig do everything for Mother's Day.

What more could a girl ask for?

No comments: