Tuesday, June 22, 2021

The Start

***I started writing this two weeks and then things got busy.  And this post is totally unfinished.  But I'm getting further and further behind, so I'm going to publish as is and try to catch up soon.  Sorry?


Friday was a BUSY day for me!  I'd barely gotten any sleep, but had still stumbled out of bed to lead FiA (this time I made them do yoga poses as their "active rest" which was fun)! 


And then we had our hiking club, which was fairly hot and muggy, but fun because my friend Kari came, along with her daughter and dog!  After hiking, Adam was very nice and let the kids climb up into his new iKamper.  I totally want one of these some day!
Next I had to hurry to get on to a zoom meeting for Ryder (still trying to figure out why in the world he can't spell).  These meetings are difficult, because part of me is really grateful for all the help the school is trying to provide us-- we've had at least three different people trying to work with him throughout the year.  But part of me is also super frustrated that we've had three different people working with him, when I'm pretty sure he'd do a lot better if the SAME PERSON could stick with it the whole time.  So, yeah.  The school doesn't think he has any sort of learning disability (which is what I've always thought, because he's a voracious reader, so a label like dyslexia doesn't make any sense), but no one can understand what else it could be, either.  So that's a big mystery and of course the meeting took quite a while.  The kids' piano lessons started shortly after that, and while they were playing, I was running around frantically packing and doing a couple last loads of laundry, because as soon as piano lessons were over I...  was... leaving!

Over a year ago the women in my neighborhood had been talking about planning a girls' weekend.  Covid, obviously, put a stop to that, but everyone is pretty much vaccinated now, so we decided to go for it!  Three of the women found a house in Lynchburg to rent and organized food and activities for all of us!

I won't lie-- I was actually really nervous about the whole thing.  My neighborhood is such a party place it's been called frat row by outsiders and I often worry that I don't fit in very well.  But I also knew that the best way to guarantee you never fit in is by NOT GOING to the events you're invited to!  So I made up my mind to go, despite my worries.  

Naturally, after I'd committed to this, Craig realized that he had graduation all day on Saturday, so we frantically called in the troops to help with babysitting!  Tom and Donna were just barely home from a couple weeks of traveling and I was so grateful that they were willing to help us out anyway!  To make matters even more complicated, the kids also had a bunch of activities going on, so Grandma and Grandpa had to haul them all over town.  It was a busy day for everyone!


(To be continued!)

No comments: