Thursday, October 21, 2021

Keeping Busy

We've continued to have gorgeous weather here.  The nights are getting longer, but the days are still warm and the leaves have barely started to turn.  But this morning it was a brisk 46℉ as we walked to the bus stop, so things are definitely cooling down.  But still, I've been enjoying it, especially as it bounces back into the 70s during the day!

I LOVE seeing pretty sunrises while we're at the bus stop!

I feel like I've been really busy, but then every so often I'll have a day with not much going on, and it sort of surprises me how time can fly by that ISN'T filled!  So some of the things I've been up to:

-Trying to get the primary kids ready for the primary program.  It's so hard to get people to memorize stuff!  And we've also been trying to learn to sing "I am a Child of God" in Spanish, which has been challenging.  It helped when Craig figured out that the rhythm of the first line is different in Spanish, but the whole thing is a bit tricky.  Anyway, this is one of those callings that seems so easy when you're not the one doing it, but when you're up there waving your arms around in front of people, it's hard not to suddenly become self conscious and wonder if you're doing everything wrong...  

-Getting our condo ready for a new renter.  Our tenants just moved out (after two and a half years, when they only signed a 6-month lease!) and we've been frantically listing it on Zillow, fielding requests for information, and showing it.  And now-- even more work-- getting it all cleaned and painted.  I've been doing most of the internet/Zillow stuff, Craig has been doing the painting and fixing up.  And while he's hard at work, I run around to Lowe's and our house getting him whatever paint, tools, and food that he needs.  I think I spent four hours driving on Friday!  But he got the master bedroom repainted so now it's a light grey instead of a dark brown, which is a HUGE improvement.  Especially since that room only has one medium-sized window, it really should never have been painted such a dark color.  And we just signed a new renter yesterday, so the condo will have only been empty for four days, so that's pretty fantastic.  Go team!  I also got to tour the Lowe's in the area finding the dishwasher I wanted, and I hung out at the condo for a couple hours yesterday while the carpets were cleaned.  It's a lot.

-Meanwhile, I'm also getting all ready to reupholster my dining room chairs.  These belonged to Craig's Grandmere and they were in such perfect condition when we got them.  But they were covered in ivory fabric and we have NOT been kind to them.  (Craig even covered them in plastic when we first got them, but even that only lasted so long...)  They're at the point now where I'm embarrassed to let anyone else see them (let alone SIT on them!), so it's time.  I watched a YouTube video and it seemed pretty straightforward.  Then I went to Joann's to shop for fabric and I hated everything I saw and immediately felt overwhelmed and left.  I decided maybe I could just buy new chairs instead.  But when I complained about this to Adam, he told me I needed to go to a local fabric store, The Second Yard.  And he offered to help me.  Craig quickly intervened, explaining to Adam that "helping" me on a project such as this will actually mean he does all the work while I sit around talking to him and watching.  This is a fact.  It's how I wound up with super cute book slings (thanks Jen and Nina!) and how I got matching aprons for me and Kendra (you rock, Emma!).  Adam seemed okay with this, so after we picked out fabric (and he was right-- The Second Yard was AMAZING!), he sat down with me on Amazon and helped me order foam and dust cloth and all the other stuff we needed.  He's scheduled Nov. 2 for our big reupholstering day!  I can't wait!!!

-Still trying to get out and exercise on a regular basis!  I led FiA on Monday and we did a cardio-strength-yoga thing that I really enjoyed (which is, um, why I picked it, obviously).  I'm back to TRYING to run a couple days a week, too, but that's pretty hit or miss depending on what else I have scheduled.  It's a work in progress...

I look nuts, but I love everyone doing their yoga poses in the background!

-I also feel like I'm constantly taking kids to doctors appointments.  But no one is sick!  We've had Camille with an eye problem, Ryder getting his glasses and fixing his broken wrist, Kendra had a rash that wouldn't go away, and Bentley's yearly physical.  Plus orthodontist appointments, and Colton got his flu shot yesterday (all the rest got theirs during their appointments, so he was the only one left)...  It's been a lot.  How do working moms manage to do all this???

-And I've also been busy with my stake calling, although I keep hearing that I'll be released from that one soon.  On Saturday we had a roundtable discussion with all the relief society presidents in the area so they could chat and hear what everyone else does with issues that come up.  It feels nice to get them together to commiserate, if nothing else!  But we served them brunch and had to have things all organized and ready, and then the other counselor and secretary didn't show up, so I felt like I was the only person there helping Christine out.  I worry about how she'll get by without me!  (Craig pointed out that she'll just call another responsible counselor and she'll be fine.  And he's right.  But it's hard to not worry!)  And then we had regional training last night, which was REALLY good, but it was another two hours on Zoom, while Craig was doing tithing settlement in the basement also on Zoom and it is REALLY hard to also get kids in bed and clean up the kitchen and do all that at the same time.  Phew.

So, yes, October is busy.  So lovely!  But also busy!

I don't have anything planned for today while the kids are in school, so I'm thinking it might be a good time to make some granola...

1 comment:

Jen Evans said...

I remember the book sling lol