Saturday, October 9, 2021

Sneak Peek

One of the things I learned during Hiking Club last year, was that Adam takes really good pictures.  This was further confirmed when he'd send me the occasionally picture from one of his weddings.  So, naturally, I asked him to do our family portraits for us, and he was very nice about agreeing to do so.  We picked a date-- October 17th-- and began discussing locations and what sort of poses I like.  Last year I just scrounged around in the kids' closets for outfits that would work, so this year I'd promised myself that I would actually BUY clothes.  So I poked around on Amazon and ordered stuff I thought would work together (and would hopefully fit my kids).  I was so proud of myself for being really on top of things this year.

Because usually I wait until the weather is just turning cold and then remember that we need pictures and then I frantically start messaging everyone I know asking if they know any good photographers in the area and they're all already booked OR/AND they're insanely expensive and the whole thing tends to be a big mess.  

Cuz here's the thing: I LOVE LOVE LOVE having family portraits, but I HATE HATE HATE the process of actually taking them.  The whole thing is a stressful mess.  Leading up to it is stressful, and the actual day is stressful, because you need to get everyone ready, but really you also want to wait until the last possible moment to get your kids dressed so they have less time to ruin their outfits.  It's all hard.

So it was nice feeling like I had all my ducks in a row for once!

Then last Friday night Adam texted me from a wedding pointing out that if we hurried, we could get our pictures while the wildflowers were in bloom at Pippin Hill.  And those wildflowers are so pretty...

So suddenly our picture date went from being October 17th to October 5th.  I went from being in really good shape to being pretty, um, desperate?  (And we were lucky to even be able to make that work, since normally Craig, Bentley and Kendra would have had youth night!  But it just happened to be canceled that week.)  The dress I'd ordered for myself wasn't supposed to show up until the 10th, so I frantically ordered four more and hoped one of them would get here in time and look okay.  I sent Craig out shopping with Bentley since the shirt I'd ordered for him was way too big.  I managed to get a haircut THAT MORNING (and miracle of miracles the girl did a fantastic job, too!).  I pulled everything together so fast.

We took pictures Tuesday evening.  Adam sent us a couple, just from what he took on his phone:



Craig was bummed that he has crazy eyes in this shot

I'm so happy.

They may be a lot of work and stress, but oh, man, I love having family portraits SO MUCH.

2 comments:

Patrice said...

They are definitely worth the time and stress!! I love these pictures and your photogenic family! And you are right, your haircut did turn out great. I didn't think Craig's eyes looked funny until you mentioned it and then I could kind of see what he meant. Ha Ha!

Juliana said...

These pictures are fantastic - so glad it worked out for you!!