Thursday, December 29, 2022

Also Before Christmas

We also had a very sad thing happen this last week, Kendra's sweet bunny Oreo died.  We'd noticed about a month ago that she suddenly smelled very bad.  I read up on Google and it sounded like maybe she just had some clogged scent glands.  But since I can't even manage to trim her nails, I figured we needed a vet to take care of this.  I called around and got her an appointment, but when we finally brought her in, the vet dismissed this concern and said she probably either had a GI problem or cancer.  She wanted to do an x-ray, but it was a lot of money to spend just to get a diagnosis, especially since I figured any treatment from there would cost even more.

We took her home and hoped she might just get better (and stop smelling so bad).  But she didn't.

And then, after a few more days, she just looked like she was in pain.  That hadn't been the case before, so I hadn't been too concerned.  But now she was just laying on her side, staring at the wall, and occasionally would try to get her feet under herself, but would kind of flail around.  It didn't look good.

We talked to Kendra about what we should do, and what she would want us to do if Oreo died.  She was very sad, but also very mature about the whole thing.  She told us she didn't want to see Oreo suffering like that, and asked that if she was still alive in the morning, could we please take her to the vet to have her put down.  Kendra also asked that we cremate her, rather than burying her in the backyard.  She was worried a fox might dig her back up (which is a legit concern around here).  Kendra spent extra time that evening petting her bunny and making sure she felt loved.  

I got up early the next morning to exercise and didn't hear Oreo moving around.  So I feared the worst.  Usually she would hear me putting on my shoes and hop around her cage.  When I got back, I actually turned on the lights, and it was very obvious that she was gone.  I felt so bad for our poor bunny.  I woke up Craig and he put her in a shoebox so the kids wouldn't have to see her like that.  We told the kids and everyone spent some time crying. 

Very sad snuggles

Once I felt like we'd gotten to the point of just wallowing, I put on Miracle on 34th Street to distract everyone and Craig made French toast.  He was able to take her to the vet to be cremated later in the morning.  And he and Kendra took down her cage and cleaned all around where it had been.  

When I peeled carrots on Christmas Day and realized I couldn't feed the peelings to our bunny, I nearly cried.  We had her for almost five years and she was such a sweet little pet.




{Sigh.}  Rest in peace, little bunny.

No comments: