Monday, August 31, 2009

Where is My Groove?

Dear Reader,

I am not a fan of change. Some people may find routine boring, but I kind of like it. I like knowing how things should go and then being pleased when they go the way I think they should (read "the way I want them to."). But it turns out that when you've got two small kids, change is sort of a fact of life. Add to that a husband who's job situation changes drastically during the summer and it's kind of hard to find a routine at all, let alone stick to it.

So I'll be the first to admit that having Craig go back to work has been hard on me. Much harder than I expected, actually. I was finally getting used to working with him home, and now he's gone again. I spent all of last week trying to remember how to take care of two kids at the same time. The one time I got them to both nap at the same time, I wandered around the house trying to remember what it was that I normally did during nap time. Pathetic, huh?

But the biggest challenge by far has been finding a chance to shower. I remember that last school year, I usually did this during Kendra's morning nap. But she's been napping later and later these days, which means that last week I kept not showering until noon or later. And that's just gross. (Craig showers at night, but if you have hair like mine that tends towards oiliness that just isn't an option.) It was when I was visiting teaching and looked around and realized that the other two moms in the room with me were both showered and clean while I looked like I'd wandered in from the homeless shelter that I decided something needed to change.

So this is one of my goals for this week: shower before leaving the house. The logical solution, of course, is just to just wake up early and shower while the kids are still sleeping. And I have every intention of doing that one of these days. But last night I kind of sort of stayed up WAY too late finishing a book (War and Remembrance by Herman Wouk-- it's a good one!) so I certainly didn't get up any earlier than absolutely necessary today. Maybe tomorrow I'll pull off this stunning feat of achievement. But for today, I had to try a different tactic: TV. After the kids were both fed, I put on a movie for them while I showered. And it worked-- I'm clean and they were still happy by the time I was out and dressed. But I do hate the idea of relying on the television every morning, so I can't say that this is a great solution.

So, reader, I'm asking for your advice on this one: How do YOU find time to shower?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely yours,
Desperately Seeking New Groove

8 comments:

Mary Gray said...

UM, what's a shower? You mean we're supposed to have those every day???

No, I pretty much either neglect my children or shower while adam's leaving and he kind of helps. OR i just go without and torture everyone else on the planet with my more than fine smell. :) I hear your pain, woman. Wish I didn't have greasy hair to worry about cuz then I'd shower WAY less! ;)

Erin said...

I do the before the kid wakes up shower. But I'm a morning person anyway.

ugkuyg said...

I don't know, but if you figure it out, tell me! I try bringing Alta and plenty of her toys into the bathroom with me, but that just turns into her pounding on the door and screaming.

Jen Evans said...

Confession: I wasn't showered when you came over. I'm pretty sure I put sunglasses on top to hide my oily hair. But I totally rely on the TV for Lizzie when I shower. However, you might feel better if you put on one of those smart baby movies, like a signing one or Baby Einstein. Some of them are pretty mesmerizing.

Natalie R. said...

I usually put Samuel in the crib with a few books and toys. He's usually happy enough when I get out. But since Bentley's in a big-boy bed, I'm not sure if that would work. I have friends whose children like to jump out their cribs, too, and it's not a good idea for them. Good luck!!

Craig said...

I'm glad to hear that I am missed. However, I refuse to take credit for any foul odors.

Andrea said...

Nick Jr. comes over to babysit at our house. He's been our most consistent sitter over the years.

Juliana said...

When I was about 14, one of of my neighbors/sunday school teacher, would occasionally call me up to babysit for about 45 minutes. It only happened on days that her toddler & baby had woken up too early and she hadn't showered. (Sometimes for a day or two.) I'd take the kids on a walk to the park, play and the mom would enjoy a child-free bubble bath. Too bad she had to pay for the alone/cleansing time, but I think he helped her sanity! :)

Good luck! :)