Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memories

These are the mice I collected when I was in middle school and high school. (I could have sworn I had one with a graduation cap and gown, complete with tiny diploma, but it seems to be missing now.)

I know those are pretty small, so from left to right what you're seeing is a singer, a bride, a hula dancer, a queen (or king-- not so sure about that one-- but I think of that mouse as being Gertrude from Hamlet, so she's a queen), a plain (naked) mouse, a clown, a painter, Carmen (from the opera), and an angel. Aren't they cute? A friend from elementary school also collected them; she had all sorts of cool ones: an Indian, a chef, a magician... They really were terribly creative. I think the woman who made them retired, but they used to be sold at a toy store in downtown Seattle called The Magical Mouse. The store is still there; I made Craig go visit it when we were engaged. I have these pictures as evidence:


If I'm going to embarrass Craig, I can embarrass myself, too...

Their stuffed animal collection is actually much more impressive than their array of viking helmets. But the viking gear makes for funnier pictures.

Anyway, the reason I'm bringing all this up is because on Sunday morning we were sort of bored so I decided to pull out my mice and show them to the kids. And now Bentley LOVES them. He wants to play with them all the time. I foresee them being well loved and becoming very shabby in the near future. So I wanted to document how cute they are before they're completely destroyed loved.

But now I'm getting distracted by the other pictures from that venture into the city. We'd only taken the ferry to downtown to get our marriage license, and then planned to look at the touristy places like Pike Place Market. But we were there during SeaFair, and happened to luck out because the Blue Angels were performing. We managed to dash over to the Smith Tower and go up to the observation deck to watch them. It was awesome!


The Blue Angels are pretty small in this picture, but I love how the sun is glinting off them.


Isn't that just cool? Such tight formation!


Peeling away from each other. Such control!


A nice close-up.


One shot of the happy couple and then the battery in the camera died.

Wow. This post has gone in a completely different direction than what I had planned. Ah, well. It happens to the best of us.

That's all for now, folks!

7 comments:

Nancy said...

Will owns one of these viking helmets if you ever need to reminisce more.

Patrice said...

I might have seen the graduation mouse last year in the garage-whether that is good news or bad news is debatable. I think of the clown mouse as Pagliacci
which would make him fit in with Carmen & Gertrude. Leah used to like to play with Grandpa Hansen's breakable bells when she was Bentley's age!

Patrice said...

PS The Blue Angel's photos are wonderful! And you and Craig are pretty cute, too!

Natalie R. said...

Mom beat me to it, so I'll back her up - I remember seeing your graduate mouse, too. We definitely wouldn't have thrown that away, so it will give you a fun quest as you go through your boxes this summer. ;0)

I love the pictures of the Blue Angels, and I LOVE Seattle!!! Magic Mouse is such a fun store; I can't remember if it was before getting married or after, but I made Cameron go there with me, too.

Erin said...

Okay, so I have a question. I was thinking Gareth would really enjoy the toy store and that maybe we could find him some small something there since we didn't bring many toys. But it has a lot of negative reviews online, mostly people feeling like they and their money were welcome, but their kids were not. Is it the kind of place where it would not be good to take Gareth in with us, in your opinion? Are they okay with kids touching/playing with the toys or is that a big no-no?

Alanna said...

Ooh, good question, Erin. I've never taken my kids! I can picture it being a bit overwhelming and difficult for a kid. There are a lot of toys and things but they're packed into a fairly small area (it's a good-sized store with an up- and down-stairs, but it certainly isn't huge like a Toys-R-Us). I think I would only bring Gareth if he isn't the type that would be pulling things down off all the shelves.

But I have to admit that a big part of me thinks that if the employees can't handle a kid making a mess, they probably shouldn't work in a toy store and that that's their problem, not yours. So I also recommend doing whatever YOU want to do!

Juliana said...

My mom has Christmas mice, that were handmade by someone. Maybe they are related? :)

And all these beautiful pictures are making me miss Seattle... :)