Sunday, May 16, 2010

Possible Careers for Kendra

This weekend, Kendra has been acting her age. Which is two, in case you needed reminding. All the bad things you associate with the terrible twos-- the random kicking and screaming tantrums and the running away when I'm trying to get her dressed (especially if I'm running late)-- this has been Kendra.

I hate to say this, but usually Bentley is the more challenging of my children (Lucky remains very easy right now. And quiet). But Bentley has suddenly pulled a surprising reverse of Kendra's behavior and has turned into an absolute delight. While I'm wrestling Kendra to the ground, threatening to pull her hair out if she won't hold still long enough for me to stick a rubber band in it, Bentley will calmly walk up to us, wrap his arms around me and say, "I love you, Mommy." (Which, as if that weren't enough, really sounds more like "I wuzoo, Mommy." Just rip my heart out and take it, kid. It's all yours.) I guess it's good that usually one of my kids is behaving at any given time, right?

Meanwhile, Kendra is also getting craftier. I was pulled out of Relief Society this afternoon because Kendra had a poopy diaper. Or so she had told her poor (gullible) nursery leaders. She wasn't poopy. She was barely even wet. She just said that so she could leave nursery for a few minutes and hang out with mommy. My daughter is already an accomplished liar. And this is the THIRD TIME she's tried this trick. (And no, she's never mistaken about the state of her diaper at home. And yes, her usual leader has caught onto this trick, but she wasn't here today.) Kendra also managed to get out of nursery a few weeks ago just by telling her leaders that she "needed" to see her mommy. They didn't know what to make of that, but decided they'd better comply just in case. I told them to not believe her unless she was actually crying or they could see (or smell, I guess) that something was the matter. Kendra is surprisingly manipulative for only being two.

I think she might have a great career in politics in store for her.

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

I love Kendra, she's so cute and even though she has her moments, I'm sure she's a very good little kid. But you'd better watch out when she gets to be a teenager... ;0) It's pretty funny that she already works the nursery system so well!!