Monday, May 17, 2010

Optimism

If you're a lover of summer like I am, the odds are pretty good that you've been disgusted with this cold, icky weather we've been having so late in May. (And people say it rains too much in Seattle!)

But I finally found a silver lining to it all. This cold weather is the only thing keeping my very pregnant little sister's hands and feet from turning into this:

(No, she doesn't just have fat hands. There is something seriously wrong here.)

And this:

Doesn't that make you hurt just looking at those poor feet and ankles? Anyway, that's what happened the last time Natalie decided to have a baby in July. Carpal tunnel syndrome up the wazoo. Why she decided to have a second baby also in July is a mystery, but I guess sometimes things just work out like that. In any case, we're hoping to avoid some of that horrendous swelling this time around. Her baby (who is affectionately called Joey II for now) is due July 5th. Until he makes his grand appearance, I'm going to have to not complain about the cold weather.

Doesn't it make you feel better knowing that for someone out there, this is a blessing?


P.S. to Juliana: Happy Birthday!
P.P.S. to Natalie: Happy Birthday tomorrow!
P.P.P.S. to Carla: Good luck this week! You're in my prayers!!!

And one last P.S. to anyone who is still reading: Few things make me feel smarter than including links in my blog. Can you tell?

5 comments:

Erin said...

July is the best month of all. And the fifth is the best day of that month - so hopefully her baby will come right on time! :)

Natalie R. said...

Thanks for the shout out - it's good to look at those pictures, because my feet are a bit swollen, and whenever I get frustrated it's good to remember this is nothing in comparison. ;0) I'm glad I can help you find a silver lining, and thanks for the birthday wishes!

I hope Erin's hope will come true and Joey II won't be born late. And I also love putting links in my posts - it makes me happy. :0)

)en said...

Of all the holidays to have a birthday near, July 4th would be pretty fun. Fireworks for your birthday? Should be that way anyway. good luck! that swelling is insane. You're a champ.

Nicole said...

poor naf. here's hoping the weather stays cool, at least for a few more weeks.

Alanna said...

Erin-- now that you mention it, Craig and I are BOTH born in July (23rd and 14th, respectively), so I guess I shouldn't be the one to point out how silly it is to be born then. But I WAS born during a heat wave and my Mom was pretty miserable, so... There you have it!