Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Basic Healing

Over the last few years, I have found three home remedies that sound really silly, but work well enough to be worth sharing (especially with cold & flu season just around the corner!). So I'm sharing them here. Then I want to know about yours. Is it a deal?


1) Sore Throat: hot jell-o. Yup. Just make instant jell-o like you normally would, but rather than putting it in a container and then into the fridge to set, pour it steaming into a mug and drink up. It coats your throat nicely and tastes way better than cough drops. (I learned this from evil ex-boyfriend. This and his spaghetti carbonara recipe are probably the best things I ever got out of that relationship...)


2) Cuts, Scratches, or Anything that Looks Ugly on Your Skin (yes, including zits): vitamin E oil. Just dab it on with a q-tip. It will heal way faster with less scarring. (This one I got from the Hogan clan-- thanks, Hogans! You've saved my skin on so many occasions since learning this!)


3) Canker Sores: teething gel for babies. Okay, so it might be slightly embarrassing buying it at the store (unless you actually have an infant), but if it works, why not? And it does-- better than any of the medicines we've ever found that are actually designed for canker sores. Try it! You won't regret it! (This one Craig figured out in an act of desperation. Poor guy. But at least now he has something that works!)



So what are your favorite home remedies? And where did you learn them from?

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Acidophilus for . . . stomach/toilet problems.

Shaun R. said...

Chamomile tea with lemon and honey for sore throat. Chamomile tea with honey or sugar for upset stomach.

Sleep or food for depression and crankiness.

Nancy said...

Not for health, but for laundry... Murphy's oil (I think it's a wood floor polish) to get grease stains out of clothes before washing them.

Natalie R. said...

Those are good ones, I'll have to try them. I can't think of any that I know, but if any come to mind I'll be back. ;0)

Juliana said...

When I first saw the Jello-O and Sore Throat, I immediately thought "Oh, my mom must have told Alanna about hot jello too! It really is the best...". But then I read the explanation and realized that actually wasn't my mom who shared that with you. Opps!

And of course, the vitamin E oil looked familiar too, but I wasn't going to make the same bad assumption twice...and I was happily surprised to read that this was tip was shared from my family! :)

Vitamin C will cure anything. (Even my father's cat allergies!) But I don't think think family's dedication to vitamin health is really much of a secret. :)