Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Camping

Last weekend, we went camping. This has become something of a tradition in our ward-- one of those unofficial activities where more and more families get invited every year. I love that. Some day I hope we can get the whole ward attending. Of the four years this has been happening, this was our third year attending-- we missed the second year it happened because we'd just bought our house and were too busy trying to get it ready to move in. I kind of feel like we're insiders, which is a rare thing for Craig and me, so I think that makes me enjoy it even more!

The funny thing is that I grew up in a strictly non-camping family. I think the closest my mom ever does to camping is staying at a Best Western. So when Craig and I bought a tent shortly after getting married and I proudly announced this news to my sisters, they all reacted in exactly the same way, "Um, we don't camp, Alanna. Remember?" And then I would remind them that maybe they don't camp, but I do. I actually spent a month camping out in the bush in Namibia shortly after my mission. And again, each sister responded exactly the same: "Oh, yeah... You're weird like that."

And I guess I am.

But here's the thing I love about camping: Craig gets to do all the work. (I didn't have it this good in Namibia, since I didn't know Craig back then; Namibia would have been way more fun if he'd been around!) Craig made the foil dinners the night before. He packed up the car. He set up the tent (and even let the kids "help"). He cooked those foil dinners to perfection. Seriously! I didn't even know it was possible to have foil dinners that were cooked all the way through without being burned AND that tasted good. But he did it! And I can usually even get Craig to toast a few marshmallows for me, although this is one task I don't mind doing for myself if I have to. All that work done for me instead of by me? Small price to pay for sleeping on the hard ground for a night!

So yeah, I like camping. Although I will admit that it's more fun when I'm not pregnant and don't have to get up to find the bathroom several times in the night. But even pregnant, I still manage to enjoy myself! So here are a few of my favorite pictures from it all:

I love the smile on Craig's face for this picture. He's in heaven. Notice, I'm just busy documenting. No work here!




Kendra's smile just makes me laugh.


This is a better smile, but it isn't quite as funny...


The next morning, Kendra got grumpy for a bit. I'm not really sure why, but it sure looked funny!


Pretty butterfly that Craig found.


I love this picture of Kendra and me. Nice view, too, huh?


Bentley thought it was too sunny to smile, but Kendra was enjoying herself! Her smile just keeps changing in the next few pictures, so I had to include them all.




Daddy took the kids on a "hike" while Mommy sat in the car and read her book.
Everyone was happy.


On the way home, we had to stop at Burger King for lunch. Good times!


Gotta love paper crowns. Does it get any better?

I'll admit, the long, hot shower when we got home felt really nice. The two hour nap on a soft mattress felt even better.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

Well, at least your tent zippers weren't taped shut when you had to get up to use the bathroom!!

I'm glad you are a camping convert. We have so many fun memories from camping.

Anna said...

...... zippers were being taped shut?? >_>

Alanna said...

Yeah, I think it's really lucky that when Tracy and Nina tried that one (thinking my tent was Teri's-- at least, they CLAIM that they would never intentionally tape a pregnant woman's tent zipper shut!), the dew nullified it all and nothing stuck. If not for that dew, I might not be friends with Tracy and Nina any more! And you all may have heard some screaming and crying in rage in the middle of the night!

Thank goodness for dew!

ugkuyg said...

I'm sad we missed it this year! it sounds like there were a lot of people there. I also like camping mainly because Dan does all the cooking :)

Andrea said...

Alanna, don't let Anna get out of this scott free! She, too, is not so innocent!

The situation may have been different for us too if my Anna had woken up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night! And what's up with the better dew on your side!?!

Alanna said...

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I wasn't the only victim that night??? Innocent little Anna is not so innocent after all? I was so busy with my own drama I never heard about everyone else's! (Typical of me, I'm sad to say.)

I think I need to hear everyone's stories now!!!

Andrea said...

Anna wasn't a victim. She was a troublemaker!!

Natalie R. said...

I'm glad you got to go camping, even if it did spoil my plans to be in DC for the Restoring Honor Rally. ;0) It sounds like it was a real blast, I'm so glad!

I remember always wanting to go camping growing up. Nick and Justin always talked about how much fun it was, but interestingly enough, I still have never really done a camping trip! Maybe someday. ;0)