Monday, August 22, 2011

Looking Forward

Yes. I am one of those people who-- at the end of every month, without fail-- has to ask, "How did the time go by so fast?" So the fact that I feel this way today isn't particularly unusual. What is unusual is the intensity I'm feeling about it all.

Craig went back to work today. Seriously? Summer can't possibly be over already, can it? It's just too nice outside for Craig to be back at work! Normally Craig and I spend our last week in this weird panicky funk, trying to squeeze in as much last-minute summer fun as possible, while simultaneously trying to not think about why we're trying to do so much at once. But this year, with three of my sisters coming to visit during Craig's last weekend, we didn't even have time to be depressed-- we were too busy enjoying everyone's company! (It was kind of nice, actually. I think this should become a tradition!)

But it has been weird today. I want to sit around and mope and miss Craig. But I've been too busy taking my sister and her husband around, and grocery shopping, and trying to get my house back in order again... And honestly, we're having such gorgeous weather that it's impossible to not be happy! I think it was just last year that I finally figured out that August in Virginia is slightly cooler than July. (In Seattle, it's usually the other way around, as though it takes all of June and most of July just to warm up to summer at all!) And after dealing with July's 100 degree weather, it's amazing how nice the low 80s feel!

Also, as much as I miss having Craig home with me, there is so much to look forward to this year: Craig's brother coming to visit, Bentley starting kindergarten, Thanksgiving with Craig's family and then Christmas with mine, what will probably be the awesomest summer vacation ever next year with Craig's family... How can I not look ahead to it all with a glad heart?

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

That's a great post, it's pretty incredible to have so many good things to look forward to!! I've been panicking a little because Hershey Park is closing, and that's my favorite thing about summer. But I'm really excited for fall and for slightly cool weather, and I was looking forward to keeping the windows open but we tried it last night, and I found something icky in my kitchen this morning... I shut the windows and turned the A/C back on right away!!!! Anyways, I'm glad you have so many great things to look forward to!!!