Monday, August 15, 2011

Random Recommendations

I feel like I have a lot of things that I really like that I should be telling you about. So here is a list of some random favorites of mine, with absolutely no regard to category.


A great movie: Lars and the Real Girl. The premise sounds terrible: Lars, a completely socially awkward man, buys a sex doll in order to learn how to relate to people better. Are you running away yet? But it's actually a really sweet (and really clean!) movie. It's very clear that the doll is never used for sex (Lars explains to his sister-in-law that she is a missionary). And it really is about a community reaching out to this poor man in whatever way they can. I cannot recommend it enough! Netflix it today!










The Woman at the Washington Zoo, by Marjorie Williams.

It's a book of essays, mostly political. And while Ms. Williams is much more liberal than I will ever be, she is honest and enjoyable to read and I have so much respect for her writings. The last third of the book is essays on less political matters and I have probably read through all of them at least five times. I love this book. My mother-in-law gave it to me, and I have loaned it out to most of my sisters, and we have all just loved it. Let me know if you want to borrow it!






On a totally different note, this book, One Bullet Away, is the autobiography of Nathaniel Fick, a Marine Corps officer who has fought in both Afghanistan and Iraq, and was part of the team that helped liberate Baghdad. It is both gripping and terrifying, not to mention beautifully written (I guess it helps that he studied classics at Dartmouth before joining the Marines!) I already thought the Marines were cool, but after this read, I have so much respect for these men. Craig and my Dad both wanted to sign up after reading it! It's a good one.


And now, here's a video that you can watch right now. But first let me give you a bit of background: you know the song "Float On" by Modest Mouse, right? (It's on Guitar Hero, if that helps at all.) Well, Lupe Fiasco also covered it for his song, "The Show Goes On". And then this incredibly talented young man, Peter Lee Johnson, did his own version, turning this into a violin solo and adding Pachelbel Canon into the mix. I cannot even tell you how much I love listening to this, and a bunch of his other videos. Watch them on YouTube now!




All right. I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of a bunch more as soon as I hit the "Publish Post" button, but until then, enjoy!

3 comments:

Patrice said...

Ditto re: "Lars" -enjoyed the music-have the book requested at the library. Keep up the suggestions!

cms87 said...

Wow, looks like my to-read list is going to get a little longer. Thanks for all of the recommendations!

Natalie R. said...

Those are all very good suggestions! I haven't read either of those books but will have to put them on my list. I love that violinist, he's really incredible!!! I'm glad you shared that video!