Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Did You See It?

One of the space shuttles was brought to the DC area today, and will be on display at the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum from here on out. Rather than quietly transport it, the Boeing airplane that carries it spent a good hour buzzing around so as many people as possible could see them in flight together. I LOVE that they did this. Apparently traffic on I-66 was a nightmare, but it usually is, so at least this time there was a good reason for it!

Craig had emailed me telling me to watch for it, but I had grocery shopping to be done, so I figured there wasn't any chance I'd see it. No joke, I was just pulling out of my street when it flew right over me! I was so excited I called all my family to tell them about it. Then, when I came out of Target, it buzzed right over the parking lot! That time I took a picture with my phone, but I'm pretty sure it's not a very good picture. I had to try, though. After that, I kept catching glimpses of it here and there as I drove to the library. And it never failed to amaze me. It was one of those moments when you stand in awe and are so proud of your country and its accomplishments.

Here are some pictures Craig managed to take of it (apparently it went right over his classroom twice!):



And if, like me, you just can't get enough, here is a link my sister sent me! (In those pictures, you can see the jet that was accompanying it, so that's also pretty cool.)

God bless America!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Pretty cool, eh? :) Yay science and technology!! :o)

Patrice said...

I printed up the middle photo to share with people. I thought it was so exciting that you both got to see it flying around. Pretty amazing!

Anonymous said...

A few years ago the shuttle had to land in California. On it's way home to Florida it did some serious fly-bys over JSC. And I missed it! Jason got a hold of me too late to go out and look. I could hear it go by. He later showed me pictures. It was very cool!

Natalie R. said...

That is so cool!!! I'm so excited for you that you got to see it! I showed the pictures to Samuel and he was really excited about it, too. What an awesome day!!!!