Thursday, September 19, 2013

Gold Stars

When I said earlier that we were committed to planting a garden next spring, what I really meant is that Craig is committed.  And I fully support him in this commitment.  Because while I do most of the day-to-day grunt work around here-- laundry, cooking and cleaning-- everything else usually falls to Craig.  This means he's in charge of yardwork, home maintenance/improvement projects, and changing lightbulbs.  And killing bugs whenever he's around to do it. (And helping me out with anything else that's going on when he's home.  Craig is a very helpful husband.)

So yes, gardening definitely falls under the "yardwork" category.  And you already saw the lovely garden box he's built.  He and Bentley have been reading Square Foot Gardening together and making lists of everything they'll need and having a nice time getting it all planned.  As part of this process, Craig decided that we needed to start composting.  He figured that in order to make this easy for me, he would set up the compost heap near the house, so I can pretty much just chuck stuff into it from our sliding door.

Craig knows me so well.

So he's built a little cage for the compost heap and now my job whenever I have vegetable peels or whatever is to throw them in there.

And I LOVE IT!

I totally love it.

Who would have thought composting could bring so much joy?

We've been trying to eat healthier, so I've been cooking with a lot more fruits and vegetables, and nothing makes me happier than chopping vegetables for dinner, collecting all the stems and stuff on a plate and then presenting it to the compost pile.  It's a double win-- I'm eating healthy AND helping my garden!

I feel like I am being rewarded with gold stars on my forehead every time I contribute to the compost heap.  Like, if someone walked by and took a look, they would be impressed by what a healthy and environmentally conscientious family we are.

Who would have guessed that I was so easily motivated?  And that I could get so excited about garbage?


2 comments:

Erin said...

Honestly, the composting was one of the things I was most excited about moving to Seattle for. I'd grown up doing our own composting, but hadn't lived anywhere with a compost bin for years. Having a tiny little garbage can and a big compost can thrilled me for weeks. Of course, I don't actually see the benefits of the compost, since the city picks it up, but I still love it when I load up our kitchen compost bucket while prepping a meal. I'm glad you're enjoying composting. And how cool is it that your kids will grow up with composting as a totally normal thing?

Jen Evans said...

Yay! My compost piles always just turn into stink heaps because I never follow through with turning or airing or other gerund things.