Monday, January 26, 2009

Things I Do That I Don't Really Enjoy

This is all stuff that I do quite regularly and dutifully (don’t worry!) and have no intention of ever quitting. But. If I somehow managed to magically never have to do them again, I don’t think I’d be too choked up about it.

1. Washing my hands. Especially after last week trying not to spread Bentley’s pinkeye, and after every diaper change… My poor hands are dried and cracked and I’d be happy if I NEVER washed them again!
2. Brushing my teeth. There are times when it feels wonderful to brush your teeth, but most of the time I just find it incredibly boring and monotonous. But don’t worry, I’ll persevere!
3. Pretty much doing anything with my hair. If I could find a good excuse and if I didn’t think I’d look so dreadful, I would totally shave my head. Think of all the time I could save! (Although it would get cold in the winter, I suppose…) Some day if I ever get cancer, please remind me (nicely) that I said this.
4. Surviving another winter. I sure hate cold weather.
5. Eating fruit. I really don’t like most of it. Sad, huh? And it’s so good for me!
6. Riding the subway. I don’t do this very often—only on the rare occasion when we head into the city or when I visit my sisters (ack—just sister, now!) in New York. But I don’t like it. I’d rather drive or walk. I don’t like being below ground and feeling like I’m breathing recycled air.
7. Flying. It’s not like I have a fear of flying or anything, I just find the whole thing tedious and annoying. Why does my tray have to be stowed away before landing? Why can’t the lady in front of me put her seat up just for a few minutes? Why can’t they give you food for free any more? Why can’t my luggage weigh 51 lbs? I really hate all the pointless rules, and even more than that, I hate sitting on the plane because I can never just fall asleep, but I can never manage to get my brain working and actually do anything productive, either. It’s awful. I’d rather drive my car and have the seat in whatever position is comfortable for me and stop wherever I want to get snacks!

2 comments:

Natalie R. said...

I always loved flying until all the security and craziness with luggage. I also hate washing my hands because it hurts like crazy. I do love fruit, though!

Liza Jane said...

Too funny! A couple tidbits of advice that might help: #1 - I'm with you on dry, cracked hands. Have you tried the Look Ma New Hands from Bath & Body works? I seriously only put lotion on 1/2 the time now with that. #5 - Liam and I are hooked on the fruit leather from Costco (found by the fruit snacks and junk food). It's all fruit without preservatives and counts for a serving of fruit. It's a bit sticky for toddlers, but we still eat about four every day!