Tuesday, March 3, 2009

New Experiences

Just now as I was driving to the library, a rather startling thing happened! The library is maybe a half a mile from my home, but Manassas has managed to pack a whopping seven traffic lights into that half mile, so it can be frustrating and slow trying to drive that short distance. The busiest intersection is crossing Sudley Road, the main road through Manassas (as anyone who has ever been here can tell you). So I'm waiting to cross Sudley and suddenly an ambulance pulls up behind me with its sirens blaring and proceeds to honk at me! I was sandwiched between two other cars and the light was very red, so I wasn't really sure what to do about this. So I turned on my blinker and began nosing my way to the right, mostly as a token effort to show the ambulance that I was fully aware that I was in their way and as soon as the light changed I would do everything in my power to remedy the situation. As it turned out, the car next to me gradually pulled forward and to the right, effectively stopping the on-coming traffic (who also gradually noticed the ambulance) so I was able to follow that car and the ambulance finally got around me. Which left me in the middle of the intersection! So I did the only logical thing, which is to just drive through it before the oncoming traffic could start moving again.

Who slowly runs a red light crossing Sudley?!?!?!?!?!

The only thing that can compete with that for weirdness is the time I was coming home from the grocery store and Kendra started crying because she was hungry. I promised her that the second we hit a red light I'd give her some Goldfish crackers (still a staple in my home), so-- you guessed it!-- we hit all green lights the entire way home. It must have been at least ten of them, all of which are usually red.

Traffic lights are weird. I miss Bainbridge Island.

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

The crazy thing is that even Bainbridge is becoming infested with stops! There are now two stop signs between Wilkes and the light on Madison, not to mention an extra light on the highway. The worst thing, though, is that they're lowering all the speed limits!! Oh well...

I'm glad you were able to let the ambulance by and even sneak on through the intersection! ;0)