Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Spring

At the beginning of February we had some unexpectedly good weather. While Craig seized the opportunity to wander around our yard dreaming about how he’ll landscape it some day, he noticed that we had some tiny purple crocuses beginning to bloom! He showed them to me and I was absolutely delighted. I guess that’s one of the fun things about owning a new home—- happy little surprises along the way! (For all you Arrested Development fans out there, YES, that reference was on purpose.)

So now this week the weather warmed up again, and the crocuses have managed to surprise me once again by taking over the yard! They’re all over the front yard and sprinkled pretty liberally around the back yard, too! There are even some struggling to poke their heads above all the leaves we raked out into the woods past our fence! I still really like them because they’re so delicate and pretty, and I love any sign of spring. But I have to admit, they’re starting to look more like weeds than flowers, now that they’re in the lawn and everywhere. Craig thinks they make our yard look more like a country meadow and is threatening to mow them. And he has a point—- especially before they open up, they do look a bit like mushrooms. But I just can’t bear to let him cut them all down. They’re so fun!

Yesterday we did some more exploring (and Bentley got to find sticks that he could wave around, an endeavor in which Craig soon joined him) and there are some other flowers coming up, too. I think they might be tulips or daffodils, but I’m not really sure yet (all you gardeners out there can shudder at my lack of knowledge). I’m very excited for my flowers, though!

2 comments:

Natalie R. said...

That's fun, I don't think I've ever seen a crocus before, but they mention them in the play of The Secret Garden. I hope you enjoy them and they don't become overwhelming!

Natalie R. said...

Thanks for adding the pictures and showing me what a crocus looks like! Mom says that they're all over around here, but I'm not sure where. Maybe next time I'll recognize it.