Sunday, November 4, 2012

Getting Ready for Winter

As I was planning my menu for the week, it suddenly hit me that I was craving casseroles.  You know the ones I mean?  The ones that always use at least one can of cream of something soup, and you have to cook all the ingredients individually, and then put them all together and cook the whole thing again?  And they're kind of a pain to make, but the one upshot is that they always have to be in the oven just long enough for you to get all the dishes cleaned up and the table set so you get to sit down to dinner with a clean kitchen.  (Which is pretty awesome if you think about it.)

Yeah.  Those casseroles.

Wow, they sound good to me.  I just found a bunch of them listed in a word doc I created a few years ago, and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to make first. 

And soup-- ooh, I want lots and lots of creamy soups!  My two favorites right now are Broccoli Cheddar and Potato and Chive.  I could slurp these all day.  And if I've managed to plan ahead and get bread bowls from Panera to serve them in, then my life is pretty much made.  (The added bonus is that Ryder actually likes my homemade soups!  What almost-two-year-old has a penchant for soup???)

I know none of this is health food.  But it just sounds so warm and cozy and comforting now that the cold weather has settled in!  Is that just nature and getting ready for winter?  Or am I just letting myself slip back into old, unhealthy habits?

No comments: