Tuesday, November 20, 2012

This Is Why We Don't Try to Have Meaningful Discussions Before 9am

I'm a little bit on the bipolar side in the morning.  If it's a sleep-in day for me, all Craig can really expect from me as he leaves for work is a grunted "I love you." And I figure that's being pretty generous.  But.  If it's a morning where I get up early and go walking with Vangie, then Craig gets me all wide awake and chatty.  I might even cross over into bubbly and perky.  He's not really sure which version of me is harder to deal with at 6:30 in the morning.

This morning was a walking day, and a day where I'm excited for our trip this afternoon, so I popped out of the shower filled with energy, which manifested itself in the absolutely need to talk about Glee with him.  Our conversation went something like this:


Me: I don't like the new character Kitty.  I mean, she's supposed to be all Christian mean girl-- which is already a cliche that bugs me-- but then she's like some sort of hybrid of Quinn and Santana, but she's not pretty or funny or anything.  I mean, why would anyone like her?

Craig: I don't know...  I mean, isn't that sort of the point?  She thinks she's all that but NO ONE really likes her, not even her lover.  That's what makes her funny.

(I'll admit that at this point I was kind of surprised.  Craig doesn't even like Glee, he mostly just tolerates it to humor me.  So really?  He's defending one of its lamest characters ever?)

Me, persisting: But she's not even pretty!  When TV characters are supposed to be pretty and aren't, that kind of offends me!

Craig: Yeah, but she's still really funny!

Me: You think she's funny?  Really?  I don't think she's all that funny...  Not like Sue Sylvester is...

Craig: Oh, come on.  How many times have we quoted her line, "And say good-bye to these, 'cuz it's the last time you'll see them!"?

And THAT'S when I realized that Craig was talking about Kitty from Arrested Development


Arrested Development Kitty
Glee Kitty
 Who is also not particularly pretty.  But is DANG funny.  And quotable.  And a great character for a TV show to have.

And then we laughed about the mix-up.  And then we breathed a sigh of relief that our marriage wasn't in trouble after all.  Craig was starting to worry that if we couldn't agree on the awesomeness of Arrested Development, what could we possibly have left?  Because I mean, if you can't agree on the basics like this, where do you go from there?

3 comments:

Vangie said...

Hahaha! Lol! First, I totally agree with you on the Kitty from GLEE. Not liking her.

Second, I'm glad you and Craig have "normal" relationship issues. ;)

Jen Evans said...

Hilarious.

Juliana said...

Hilarious!

And I have to agree, sometimes normal-looking or ugly actors really irritate me too. (Am I a bad person for this.)