Monday, November 19, 2012

Our 2nd New York 2012 Trip

Today is the calm before the storm day for me.  Not in the literal sense-- no more Sandys coming this way, that I've heard of.  But in the sense that I don't have much to do today, but then tomorrow I'll be grocery shopping, washing and folding laundry, packing, and then we're driving up to New York to spend Thanksgiving with the Manhattan contingent of the Bentley clan.

And I am so excited!!!

I know the trip is going to be exhausting and fattening and then more exhausting, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be DANG fun, too!  On the agenda so far is Craig making the turkey (with Brian as his sous chef), going to Inflation Eve of the Macy's parade and then the actual event the next day, the Shake Shack, getting chocolate mousse at some place (shoot-- I already forgot the name), and then cooking up a storm at Leah's new house.  I'm in charge of the mashed potatoes and I'm going to try out this stuffing recipe.  Craig, in addition to the turkey (and more traditional stuffing), will be busy making spritz cookies, his other specialty.  And then everyone else is making a host of sides, desserts, and appetizers.  I'm bringing all three of my crockpots to help keep stuff warm.

It's gonna be awesome.

But even more exciting than all the food and the parade is the chance to see so many of my sisters again-- the only person we'll be missing is Natalie.  I haven't seen Eliot, one of my two two-year-old nephews, since July, so I'm excited to hear all the words he can say now and just get to know his budding personality.  (Leah informs me that he is anti-pants at the moment.  I wish I could be, too!)  And, Leah and Brian moved from the house they were renting to one that they own, so of course I'm excited to check out their new place.  And then there's the obvious "sit around and talk with everyone" time which is my absolute most favorite thing in the world to do.  I'm thankful that we have phones and can stay connected so easily, but nothing beats the four-sisters-plus-husbands conversations that can follow after eating way too much food and tucking the kids into bed.  Really, nothing does.

It's funny because I remember not really loving Thanksgiving when I was a kid.  I think most of the foods didn't really appeal to me and the whole thing just seemed like a lot of work for nothing that I liked.  I have definitely had a change of heart.  What could you possibly not love about this holiday?

Anyway, wish us safe driving and way too much eating in the days to come.  And a very happy Thanksgiving to you!

2 comments:

Patrice said...

i
Fiorello's! The mousse is yummy! I agree that the food is a great part of Thanksgiving but the visiting is the best part!!! Have a wonderful and safe holiday!

Nancy said...

Safe driving! Can you tell by all my comments that I just remembered I hadn't checked anyone's private blogs in...weeks!