Monday, November 26, 2012

The Decision

Last week, Craig and I finally made our decision and hired a midwife.

I can't tell you how excited I am about this.  As of today, I am 25 weeks pregnant, and I have spent most of that time worrying about how best to bring this baby into the world.  After three really lousy hospital experiences (all of which were bad for very different reasons), I'm calling a "three strikes, you're out" and throwing in the towel on hospitals.  I am planning to have a home birth. 

Now, I realize that lots of people think that people who give birth at home are crazy.  I understand that line of thinking because up until Kendra's accidental home birth, I totally agreed with it.  People would ask if I was going to have her at home and I would laugh at them and remind them that I wasn't insane.  Until she was born at home.  And I realized that that was the best experience (and BY FAR the easiest labor) I've had.  And until Ryder's birth was so awful.  And then I started to wonder if I wasn't the crazy one for even considering going back to a hospital when it just wasn't what I wanted for my baby's birth.

I started reading more and more about labor and birth.  I started reading birth blogs by other LDS women who felt strongly that Heavenly Father cared about how His children were born.  And it made me feel that it was in my baby's (and my) best interest to do everything I could to ensure that my care provider was someone I trusted, which, as I've said before, was impossible with the way my insurance works right now.  The more I learned and thought about all this, the greater my desire for a planned home birth became.  There are so many aspects of a hospital birth that I don't want and so many things about a birth that I do want.  And while the hospital tours here all emphasize that they want everything to go the way you want it to go, the reality is that this rarely happens, and you have to fight for it every step of the way-- a lot of the things they do happen before you even realize what's going on, you're just so busy being relieved that labor is over.  (I know of plenty of people who have had wonderful experiences in hospitals birthing their babies, so I don't mean this in ANY WAY to be critical of you if that's how it's worked for you-- this is all solely based on my own rather anecdotal BAD experiences.  So please don't take this as a criticism of people who are happy to go to the hospital!  Honestly, I sort of wish I could have that experience-- my life would be easier and this all would have been a lot cheaper had they worked out that way!)

But I need to fight for the labor I want.

And what I want is to labor as peacefully as possible, without people poking needles into my arms and wrists, smearing goop on my swollen tummy which then makes the hospital gown stick to me like some slimy, cheap sheet, and feels absolutely awful, only to further the uncomfortableness by strapping things around that same swollen stomach and yelling at me if I move.  I don't want some stranger that I just met that day sticking their fingers up inside me and then threatening me with procedures I don't want or need if I haven't dilated enough to satisfy them.

When it comes time to push, I don't want people screaming at me that I'm doing it wrong, that I shouldn't be doing it yet, that I have to lay down on my back, or anything else for that matter.  I want someone to encourage me and tell me I'm doing great.  I want someone to tell me that we can see his head and then to bask with me in what a miracle this all is that I am pushing a living human being out into the world to take his first breath.

And then, when that moment comes, I want to be handed my baby all naked and wiggly the moment he is born.  I don't want him washed, poked, prodded, and wrapped up before I even get to see him and hold him.  I want them to wait a bit before cutting the cord so he can get that last little bit of cord blood that might be beneficial to him.  I want to skip the Hep-A vaccine, since he won't be at risk for that anywhere that I will be taking him.  (We'll do it later, when he's a little older and his immune system has had some time to mature.  I'm not anti-vaccinations, I'm just pro-waiting on vaccinations.)  I don't want his eyes smeared with ointment to protect him from chlamydia, because it turns out that I don't have-- have NEVER had-- any STDs (one of the many perks to following the rules of my church, it turns out!)-- I want my baby to be able to look around and see his mommy and daddy this first hour of his life.  I used to be grossed out by the idea of being handed a baby still covered in amniotic fluid, vernix, and who-knows-what-else, but I've done it enough times now to understand that I'm pretty gross by the end of labor, too.  So who cares if we're a bit messy together?  We'll both get baths in a bit, and that will be just fine.

I want to be in my home where I feel safe and secure and loved.  I want my other children close by, not separated from me for several scary days while they try to process this new addition to the family without their mommy nearby to help.  I want them to meet their baby brother right away and also feel the specialness of new life.

I understand things don't always go as planned.  Maybe something will happen that will force me back to the hospital for the good of my baby.  Maybe my midwife will turn out to be as mean as the doctors.  But I am trying to do everything within my power to make this into the experience I dream it can be.  And for now, that's everything I can do.

7 comments:

Anne said...

I'm so glad you've decided on something that will make you happy. :) And so sad that your hospital experiences have been so terrible. I've had all 3 in a hospital, but I think it helps that I've had the same doctor (who's the one I see all through my pregnancies as well) and the same hospital. I've been pretty happy with how everything's gone and I've had the flexibility that I've needed (able to walk around, getting the baby right away, generally, etc.)...but I'm not quite as adventurous as you. :) The main thing I will definitely envy is that you'll be with your kids quicker. :) That will be awesome. Will they be at the house or in the room when you're laboring or just come after everything is done?

Alanna said...

Hey, Anne! A couple quick answers to you: first of all, I think labor is handled very differently on the east coast from how it is on the west coast. At least, that's the impression I get (I've only had labor here, so I don't really know). My impression is that they're a lot more willing to let things be natural on the west coast than they are here, so I would imagine it's easier to have that experience in California! (The doctor with Ryder made a point of telling me that I was NOT allowed to keep my placenta and plant a tree over it or something like they might do in California because they're all crazy over there. True story. Since my Mom is a Californian and I love California, I found her statement pretty obnoxious. And it made me want to do something like that for the first time ever!)

I don't have any real plans for the kids, so I mostly just want to play it by ear. I don't want them in the room when I deliver the baby because I think they might find that upsetting (and let's be honest, I don't even like them to be in the room with me when I go to the bathroom!). But if they're in the house or at a nearby park, I'm okay with that. My babies like to come at night, so I guess ideally they'd just be in their beds sleeping and get to wake up to a nice surprise... Maybe? :)

Erin said...

Yay! I'm so happy that you've found a way to make this birth experience what you want. I thought I remembered Craig being against doing a home birth - how did you bring him round?

Emily said...

Woot! I think you will really love a home birth. I'll admit I still feel sadness that I didn't get to see either of my babies before they were all scrubbed and swaddled. Do you have a midwife yet? A friend of mine in Vienna really loved hers.

Nancy said...

Now I want to compare all of my births. I had two in California, one in Kansas and one here. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me keep my placenta in CA because I remember being a little smug about the fact that my placenta with Ella was inside out or something so it got sent away for observation and didn't get to go to wherever placentas at the hospital normally go.

I probably should have had a c-section with Ella but my doctor knew I was LDS and would want a lot of kids and didn't want me to start out with a c-section.

I typically go out of my way to chose female doctors. This time was the only time that I was stuck with which ever doctor was on call and in a 4 doctor practice with one female, I almost never saw her and she didn't end up delivering Simon. Really though, the doctor was barely with me before Simon came. He showed up, checked me and hurried to change into scrubs because it was show time. We spent maybe 30 minutes together, including sew up time.

I do agree that I have a certain idea of how I want things to go and afterwards, I'm just so relieved that it's over I don't really care that things didn't go as planned.

With Ella, I was strapped to an internal monitor, etc. etc. With Will, I was barely in the hospital long enough to labor there. With Linus I was more adament about getting up and moving around and did this until I couldn't handle being up and about anymore. With Simon, I spent the entire time getting checked into the hospital system, hooked up and then having the epidural take action. That aspect was annoying... I'm in intense labor and having to sign forms and get prodded with needle over and over and over again because the nurse couldn't get it right. So that was frustrating. I don't remember so much "office" work being a part of any of my other labors. I thought that was why I pre-registerd. PLUS, I had been in the same hospital earlier that day for all sorts of testing. Argh.

I also hate that they had a male nurse's assistant in the recovery wing so when my nurse was unavailable he was going to be the one to help me to the bathroom. I almost wet the bed waiting because I was still weak legged from the epidural and they'd told me to make sure I had a nurse with me the first time I went.

So, to sum up, none of my births have been perfect, but I haven't really expected perfection I guess.

)en said...

Woohoo! I love the way you think/write about lady issues. It's so not annoying and I can totally identify with what you say even if I have differing views. I can't ever see myself doing a home birth. however, I seriously believe Satan himself resides in all hospitals and I vowed never to go to one again (guess who still hasn't seen a doc since she birthed a kid 3 years ago? Yup)so who knows?

You sell the home birth well. I hope it goes perfectly. I have 2 friends here who birthed at home (who had already had a couple of kids) and they l-o-v-e-d it.

Juliana said...

I agree, you write about this topic so well Alanna. So delighted that you and Craig found a plan that fits your family, and that you feel so good about. That is wonderful!