Monday, August 27, 2018

A New Gig for Me

School started last week, and life feels VERY different with four kids in school and only one at home!  I haven't had just one kid to take care of since Kendra was born over 10 years ago!!!  I was kind of worried that Camille would be really bored with just me for company.  So, naturally, I found a babysitting gig to occupy our time!

Actually, the whole thing just sort of fell into my lap.  We have a community messaging board (although "community" is very loosely defined to be the southern half of Charlottesville, as far as I can tell) and people will frequently post messages about looking for a babysitter/nanny.  I'll usually click on them-- because who can say no to a little extra money?-- and then quickly realize that there's no WAY it would work.  These people usually want someone who can be in their home, helping their kids with homework and all sorts of demands that I certainly do not have the time for.  So I read them, think, Nope!, and move on.

But a few weeks ago, one caught my eye.  This person was looking for someone to watch two kids, ages 4 and almost 1, twice a week, from 8:30-3:00, which is exactly when my kids are in school.  And I thought, I could do that.  And Camille would have a friend to play with!  So I reached out, and it all seems to be working perfectly!

Danielle is the mom and she seemed very nice and very reasonable-- she wanted to make sure my kids were vaccinated and that I didn't have any guns in the house.  Fair enough.  I wanted to make sure she wasn't uncomfortable with my being religious (I assured her I wouldn't be preaching to her kids or anything, but you never know how people will react to stuff like this).  And her two kids are Quinn and Theo.  She brought them over last Monday so I could meet them and see how they did here and they were super cute kids and Quinn and Camille hit it off right away.  Thursday will be my first day actually babysitting, so we'll see how that goes.  But I'm excited-- I think this will be a perfect way to earn a little extra money, but since it's only two days a week, I'll still have plenty of time to get done the things I normally do.

Here's hoping, right?

No comments: