Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Easter

I actually had my act together this year, and took time on Thursday and Friday to hard boil 4 dozen eggs for my kids to dye.  I figured we'd make time for all that on Saturday, but then everyone had a surprise early dismissal on Friday because of RAIN!!!!  (They were predicting 3 inches in a couple hours and possible flooding. We got... maybe half an inch?  It really wasn't nearly as exciting as I'd hoped!)

But with a long afternoon stretching before us, we decided that was the perfect opportunity to dye eggs, so we got right to it.  And then, once the kids were bored with that, I put on Peter Rabbit for them and heated up some frozen pizzas.  While they were watching, we tried another experiment I'd seen on Our Best Bites and been itching to try: Silk-Dyed Eggs!  You wrap them up in old neckties and boil them in water and a little vinegar, and the pattern will transfer onto the eggs, like silly putty and newsprint! Anyway, they turned out pretty good:

My absolute favorite is the paisley one on the bottom left corner


Easter morning the kids ran around finding their baskets (hidden in the basement this year) after they were all dressed for church.  I sort of like how they lined up on the couch here puts their baskets in rainbow order!


After church, the kids changed into play clothes and we drove straight to Culpeper to spend the day with Grandma and Grandpa.  They had an egg hunt all organized for the kids (and that really is the best word for it-- it was the best organized egg hunt I've ever seen!) and then they fed us (and fed us and fed us!) and the kids ran around outside climbing trees, flying kites, and getting rides on Grandpa's riding lawnmower (I may have taken my standard Sunday nap during this time!).  It was a really lovely day.  We took lots of pictures of it, too, but they're all Live Photos, which I can't seem to be able to post to my blog (what the heck, Google???).  But trust me, it was great!

Yay for Easter and spring and family and all that good stuff!

1 comment:

)en said...

Those eggs are cooooool. I shall be doing that Easter next.