Saturday, January 22, 2022

It Finally Happened

The Sunday after our temple trip it snowed again, so we were all ready to hunker down for more snow days.  And then, when we got up that morning, Ryder said he didn't feel good.

Cue the scary music.

We'd had Noah in our home for several hours Monday through Thursday and he'd tested positive Friday morning, so I knew there was a chance someone would get it finally.  And here we were.

We enjoyed our snow days.  Colton and Camille played outside a TON with Sydney, but we didn't let anyone go inside while we waited to see if it would spread.  We also finally got Disney+ again and have enjoyed watching Encanto and Luca.  It's been fun family time.



And I used the time at home (and not watching a 2-year-old) to make my favorite rolls and soup.  I got the best rise out of those rolls yet and was so pleased I had to take a picture!
Letting it rise above a running dishwasher is another great warm location!  I let the towel hang down over the door so it captures any escaping steam.

So we enjoyed our snow days while constantly asking if our throats were tickling or we were just being hypochondriacs.  On Wednesday I got my first ever call from a school nurse informing me that Ryder had a close contact with a classmate who had now tested positive, so that also didn't bode well for whatever he was sick with.  Now we knew he'd been doubly exposed.

And suddenly between Wednesday and Thursday everyone was sick!  Sore throats, coughing, aching, a couple fevers, and just generally feeling icky.  As of Friday night, we have four positive tests (Ryder, Bentley, me, and Camille) and the other three have pending tests.  But we all have pretty much the same symptoms, so I think it's safe to assume we all have Covid.  We'll be fine-- no one is going to need to be hospitalized.  It's like any other time when your whole family catches some bug and you're miserable for a week or so.

Part of me is just fine with this.  I'm surprised we managed to avoid it for so long, quite frankly.  And school was closed for the snow Monday-Wednesday, and then had a late start Thursday for the snow and a half day on Friday for the teachers, so we have the double bonus of not missing very much school AND my kids who still seemed healthy earlier in the week didn't go to school and spread the virus more.  They'll all be home for this coming week, too, but it's only going to be a three-day school week, so, again, they aren't missing nearly as much school as you would expect.

So that's good.

We were supposed to leave on our Disney cruise on Monday and clearly that's not happening, which is a bummer (this is the same cruise that was supposed to happen a year ago).  But we've rescheduled it for February, so this isn't tragic.  And to be very honest: we've spent the entire week thinking the odds of us getting on that ship were pretty slim, so if it had turned out to NOT be Covid and we all recovered fast and were able to go after all, I would have missed out on all the fun anticipation and would have felt slightly cheated.  So I'm fine with delaying all the fun for another month.  

What I'm actually the most irritated about is the fact that I feel like we've followed all the Covid rules and we still all got sick anyway.  We're all fully vaccinated.  We've been very diligent about wearing masks in public.  My poor kids are stuck wearing masks all day in school, not allowed to speak while they eat their lunch, can't go within three feet of their friends.  And we got it anyway.

I'm done with all these stupid rules and shots if they don't do any good any way.  Once we're all healthy and able to go out in public again, I'm not wearing a mask unless it's full on required.  I'm going to be that crazy parent fighting against school masks.  Why are we torturing everyone if it didn't do any good anyway???  Seriously, what was the point?

Anyway.  My throat hurts like crazy and I'm grumpy.  Maybe I'll change my mind once I'm feeling better.  

On a happier note, all I ever want to do in January is stay inside where it's warm.  I guess I'm finally getting my wish.

2 comments:

Erin said...

:(
Sorry you all got it! It does feel more inevitable with Omicron given how easily this variant spreads compared to previous ones. But if it makes you feel any better, the vaccine is helping your body fight it off faster/helping to make it less likely you have a severe case. Which I'm grateful for, especially when I hear the numbers on how many kids have lost parents to COVID or see the rising numbers of T1 diabetes in kids after COVID infection. Masks can help, but only so much. But they're also just a minor annoyance and I'm hopeful that small amount of extra protection helps keep the immune compromised people I know just a little safer.

Hope you're all feeling better soon!

Juliana said...

So so thrilled everyone is recovered, the Disney cruise is rescheduled and everything felt mild and manageable! Whoo-hoo!

One of my best friends families got COVID this Winter (we can probably all say that, right? It's everywhere). Some of her family were vaxxed and taking precautions and others were not. The vaxxed adults survived and felt manageably crappy. But thr one unvaxxed mom died and the dad spent 2 weeks in the ICU and almost died too. So many public policies feel crazy right now, but gosh I'm convinced that the vaccines are doing their job at keeping us alive and suffering less.

PS I want to hear everything about your Disney Cruise, I want us to go on one next year!