Monday, March 1, 2010

The New Etiquette

I was talking to my sister on the phone the other day when the call suddenly got dropped. This isn't terribly unusual, and we immediately did what everyone does when they realize that their dialogue has become suspiciously one-sided: we called each other back, got each other's voicemail, tried once more, and then we both stopped and waited for the other one to call. I think it took five minutes before we were actually talking again, and by then we'd forgotten what it was we'd been talking about!

I cannot even count how many times this has happened. And it's always the same. So once we did finally manage to reconnect, Natalie and I decided that there needs to be a rule of etiquette governing who should call the other one back so we wouldn't have to play phone tag with each other's voicemail. These were the ideas we came up with, and the flaws that I'm worried about in each one:

a) Whoever's name comes alphabetically should call back, based on first names. My only problem with this idea is that, as an "Alanna," I'll end up doing most of the calling. But that's not the end of the world.

b) Same idea, but let's use last names. This could get confusing if you're talking to family members who have the same last name, though.

c) Whoever was responsible for the call being dropped calls back. Can you usually tell if you're cell phone dropped it or if it was on the other line?

Let me know which one has your vote or if you have a better idea!!! Then we'll pass the new rule along to everyone we know!

11 comments:

Shaun R. said...

How about a 4th option? Whoever initiated the call in the first place.

Alanna said...

I like that idea, Shaun. I'll add it to the poll!

Alanna said...

Never mind, I lied. It won't let me change the poll now. People: if you want to vote for Shaun's idea, just say so in the comments!

Natalie R. said...

I like the idea of having an etiquette for this. The reason I had thought the person who drops the call should call is because sometimes they need to get in a different spot, which might take a minute or two. But really, most of the time it's just a matter of calling back, in which case any of them would work. I think they're all good ideas, so whichever wins I'll go with. :0)

Erin said...

I vote for Shaun's suggestion!

Juliana said...

I vote for whoever was LISTENING, (rather than doing the talking) should call back. This is based on practicality, I think.

My calls get dropped all the time. You can thank my not-so-glamorous apartment for that. If I am listening to a story, I notice immediately that the call has ended suddenly. Although, if I am telling a story, sometimes I don't notice the other person is gone, until they are calling me back. (I'm sure this is difficult to imagine, for anyone who has talked to me on the phone...)

I'm not sure this would work as well for people who have actual conversations (back and forth talking), rather than just LONG stretches of stories/opinions, like I usually do. ("okay, I'm done. Your turn, go!")

Good luck! :)

Angie said...

I vote for Shaun's idea too!

Jen Evans said...

I was talking to my mom and the call dropped. Her name starts with D so I waited for her to call me back. Never did. Oh well!

Alanna said...

Geez, Jen, doesn't your mom read my blog? ;)

delilas said...

My first thought was what Shaun's idea. I vote for - Whoever initiated the call in the first place.

Tracy said...

So I'm a little late and obviously we have a winner, but my vote would have been Shaun's idea. :)