Monday, March 8, 2010

What Would Freud Say?

I just remembered that in some part of my dream last night, I saw how someone had loaded their dishwasher and felt terribly guilty for not cramming as many dishes into mine. Apparently I feel guilt over incredibly stupid things.


Also, Craig has decided that we should go cell phone shopping today, and apparently this also has me stressed out, since the majority of my dreams involved me finding really lame phones that would be free, but I didn't want them. You'd think I would be stressed out about Wednesday's Relief Society Birthday dinner or something a little more real, but no-- my subconscious chooses to dwell on cell phones and dishwashers. On the other hand, every time we've gone cell phone shopping, it's ended with Craig yelling at the Sprint people, so maybe my subconscious has good reason to be worried about this. Craig is, after all, very mild-mannered, so any time you've got him shouting at people, it's cause for concern.

However, poor Craig has had the same phone since we got married. That's nearly five years old now. In cell phones years, I think that would be like being 85 or something. His students actually take time to make fun of it to each other!
And recently it's begun doing odd things like flashing the inside lights while it's charging. I'm not sure if this is the equivalent to having seizures or running naked up and down the halls of the old folk's home, but either way I think it's probably a bad sign. So while I can't say that I'm looking forward to doing this, I also have to admit that it's way past time.

My phone looks like this, and I quite like it:
(Although I did change the clock to a digital one; I love how the clock face looks, but I am incredibly slow at telling time, and that's just embarrassing. So naturally, rather than practicing, I switched to digital.) My phone is nearly three years old, which is more like being in your 40s. Sure, it's been around; no high schooler is going to think it's sexy, but there's still plenty of good life left in it. I'm not really anxious to get a new phone, but Craig is tired of us not renewing our contract with Sprint at the same time together. Instead, we keep leapfrogging over one another's contracts, as he put it. He's hoping that if we renew together, by the time these two years are up, iPhones will have magically become cheaper and then he'll be able to persuade me to buy him one.

I'll let him hold on to that dream for now.

In the meantime, wish us luck cell phone shopping! Maybe third time's a charm and this will be the time that Craig isn't forced to yell at anyone.

It could happen, right?

1 comment:

Natalie R. said...

So I read your posts out of order. Did Craig manage not to yell at all? And, BTW, I agree with you on not letting your kids run around like crazy in public. And just so you know, I KNEW there was something suspicious about Craig! I hadn't decided if he was more of a Superman type or a Spiderman type, but I'm glad to finally know. And I'm glad that he's more like Superman, because if he had any bit of spider genes in him, I would never stay at your place again - sorry! ;0)