Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Conversations with My Children

All three of these conversations happened yesterday.

With Kendra:

Kendra: Mommy, if I pray in the woods, will I get to see Heavenly Father and Jesus?
Apparently she'd been learning about Joseph Smith in her Primary classes.
Me (turning off the car radio so I can actually listen to what she's saying): Well, that's pretty tricky.  I guess if you prayed with lots of faith and you had to ask them something that no one else knew the answer to-- not even Mommy and Daddy-- then maybe they would come and talk to you.
Kendra: Like, could I ask them how to fix my necklace?
Me: You could, but since I'm pretty sure Mommy knows how to fix your necklace, I don't think they'd come and answer that question.

With Ryder:

Me (casually flipping him over for bum-sniff while I carry him up the stairs), "Let's see if you're poopy!"
Sharp, corner wall at bottom of stairs: THWACK.  Right against his forehead.
Ryder: Ahhhhhhh!!!!  (gasps in breath while face turns every known shade of red). aAAaAAAA-
aAAAHHHHHHHHHHHhhHhHhHhHhHh!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: omigosh, i'm sorryimsorryimsorryimsorry!!!!!
 
Ryder continues to cry hysterically.  Miraculously it didn't end up leaving a bruise.  That surprised me.  I've always been worried that one of these days I would accidentally conk one of my baby's heads against a door jam.  I didn't even think to worry about knocking my toddler into the corner of the wall!

With Bentley:

Me: Good night, Bentley.  I love you.
Bentley: Mommy, why doesn't the Holy Ghost have a body?  When will he get one?
Me: Um.  When God decides to let him have one?  I don't really know.



And this is why I'm so worn out by the end of each day.  And I thought defending my thesis was hard!

3 comments:

Jen Evans said...

More and more I refer to Daddy to answer all tough questions. I get worried about teaching false doctrine. And I hope she'll forget the question by the time AJ comes home.

Patrice said...

They do keep you on your toes! It's so awful when the walls get in the way-sorry Ryder go an "owie"!

Nancy said...

I banged the water tray into Linus's head in Sacrament mtg. The boy passing the sacrament sort of snickered quietly. (Linus wasn't hurt... much.)