Friday, May 13, 2011

Conflicting Feedback

Sometimes, this momming gig just works for me. Exhibit A here:



Yes! I had all three kids sitting on the bed happily while I folded laundry! It was so nice that I stopped to document it! They were happy AND I was getting something done!


Exhibit B (which I did not photograph): I managed to get all of us to yoga class today, which has turned into a cardio workout with a little bit of yoga stretching at the end class. And it nearly killed me, but in a good, I-needed-that sort of way. I was kind of proud of myself for accomplishing that. I even did most of the workout, until Ryder had a blow-out diaper that I couldn't ignore. (Bringing us to the question that every parent of a newborn asks: how can babies manage to have more poop outside of the diaper than in? I mean, come on-- the thing is wrapped around your butt for crying out loud!!!)

Those are the times when I'm proud of my mothering skills.

But then other times, like tonight, when it just doesn't work. At all. Exhibit C: after dinner, I read a story to the kids, then scrubbed the tub clean (because Kendra had thrown her muddy flipflops in it), then gave them baths. And for all my efforts, I ended up with Bentley crying, coughing and gagging. He insisted that I had gotten soap in his mouth (I hadn't) and that it was making him cough (soap wouldn't do that) and that I needed to take him to the doctor (um, no). I got so frustrated over the whole thing that as soon as Craig came to my rescue I just walked away from it all. I spent the next little while perusing blogs and wondering why my kids hated me. I didn't even bother to say good-night to them.

How can I be so good at something one minute and so bad at it the next?



My one consolation is that Ryder still likes me. For now.

4 comments:

Liz said...

So cute. :) I love the one of the three kids happily playing on your bed.

ps: Are those foam "sit-up" chairs all the rage now? I think every other friend who has new little ones has one. I hadn't seen 'em until relatively recently tho.

Rachael said...

I'm pretty sure you're always good at mothering, and in later years all of your kids will recognize that. :)

Natalie R. said...

Hey, we have almost the exact same outfit as the Ryder's Micky Mouse one! :0)

Those are great pictures! Your kids are very good kids, and you're a wonderful mom - we all have those moments of perfection and the other moments of disaster, don't worry. Just remember Mom's favorite story - 30 seconds of everyone being totally happy, and then everyone in tears!

Elizabeth - The foam chairs are called a bumbo, and they're really popular. I think they came out 5 or 6 years ago? It's a great way to let your kid sit up without being able to fall over and bonking their head. BTW, huge congrats on getting married soon!!! :-D

Anonymous said...

I borrowed one of those bumbo chairs from a friend and could barely get Eli's chunky thighs in the leg holes! It was really pathetic. Ryder seems to fit so much nicer!